Alexis Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sanchez is right footed. All right-footed wingers want to cut inside when playing on the left. This is exactly what he does time after time for Arsenal. Look how Pep instructed Sterling not to cut inside during the buildup. It's exactly the same with Sanchez. Perhaps I was to assertive. Once we have a proper left-back that is able to run up the pitch and provide width then he may be given the freedom to cut inside.

Not sure you're getting how Pep likes to set up his teams.

It's not about having a left/right footed winger pinging in crosses on their natural foot.

Last season was a compromise. This season will be full on Pep (I hope)

If he wants out he's gonna have to request a transfer publicly and I can't see that happening. Would he risk tarnishing his reputation with the fans? I don't think so.

He can just say he's staying,I think they'll tell him he can go....no way they keep him and lose all that money,IMO.

I thought that Sane is left-footed. Why would he play on the right (unless I have misunderstood)?
Because it's easier to shoot/score from there. Playing a goalscoring winger like Robben/Sane as a 'classical', not inverted winger is a waste of your firepower. I think the reasons why Pep played Sane on the left are:
- the lack of proper marauding fullbacks
- Sane's tactical ineptness - his tasks on the left are much more simple than diagonal runs from the right. Watch Sane in German NTs - he's a kid in tactical sense, needs simple reference points and easy tasks right now. Besided, playing as LW makes shielding the ball far easier if you're leftie.
In any case, I genuinely hope that he stays on the left. You can see every game that the opposition defenders are terrified to defend one-on-one.
They'll be even more scared when he starts banging goals from the right side.
I'm not really sure where Bernardo will play. My initial thought was that he will play more centrally in a David Silva kind of role. However, having watched some of his games for Monaco, and having read what Pep said about him, I think that he is likely to play on the right as a winger at least some of the time. It will be interesting to see how Pep uses him anyway. We have three really top quality creative midfielders to call upon now.
IMO the lack of another press-resistant No8 was one of the main problems last season. With Silva-Silva pair in midfield and a ball-retainer like Alexis in attacking group it'll be possible to bring back 'total pressing' that Pep tried to use in Aug-Sept but later abandoned as the team was losing the ball too often.
The midfield was crying for a player like Bernardo, I personally think that he's the most important signing this summer.

Edit: your remark about Alexis' inability to play as LW in Pep's system is a bit strange, as even strikers like Henry and Villa did that with great success.

Not sure you're getting how Pep likes to set up his teams.

It's not about having a left/right footed winger pinging in crosses on their natural foot.

Last season was a compromise. This season will be full on Pep (I hope)

It all depends on the qualities of the fullbacks that he brings in. If we end up with Walker and Mendy then I agree that we'll see the wingers cut inside. Alves would be different through.

Because it's easier to shoot/score from there. Playing a goalscoring winger like Robben/Sane as a 'classical', not inverted winger is a waste of your firepower. I think the reasons why Pep played Sane on the left are:
- the lack of proper marauding fullbacks
- Sane's tactical ineptness - his tasks on the left are much more simple than diagonal runs from the right. Watch Sane in German NTs - he's a kid in tactical sense, needs simple reference points and easy tasks right now. Besided, playing as LW makes shielding the ball far easier if you're leftie.

They'll be even more scared when he starts banging goals from the right side.

IMO the lack of another press-resistant No8 was one of the main problems last season. With Silva-Silva pair in midfield and a ball-retainer like Alexis in attacking group it'll be possible to bring back 'total pressing' that Pep tried to use in Aug-Sept but later abandoned as the team was losing the ball too often.
The midield was crying for a player like Bernardo, I personally think that he's the most important signing this summer.

Edit: your remark about Alexis' inability to play as LW in Pep's system is a bit strange, as even strikers like Henry and Villa did that with great success.

But Sane will not be able to use his electric pace to his full advantage when cutting inside. This is why I'd prefer him to stay out wide, where he can beat his man and run into a clear area of the pitch. Exactly what he has done the entire season to devastating effect.

But Sane will not be able to use his electric pace to his full advantage when cutting inside. This is why I'd prefer him to stay out wide, where he can beat his man and run into a clear area of the pitch. Exactly what he has done the entire season to devastating effect.
I see your point, but I think it entirely depends on the main tactical setup that Pep will use.
If he continues to use 'inverted' fullbacks with classical wingers, it's one thing. If he sends 1-2 fbs to attack the flank, he can use inside forwards more.
The (supposed) purchase of Walker and Mendy points to the second case, don't you think so? Both are athletic beasts that won't be very useful inside. Reverting to 'lavolpiana' with attacking fullbacks seems to be logical.

Last edited:
Sanchez is right footed. All right-footed wingers want to cut inside when playing on the left. This is exactly what he does time after time for Arsenal. Look how Pep instructed Sterling not to cut inside during the buildup. It's exactly the same with Sanchez. Perhaps I was to assertive. Once we have a proper left-back that is able to run up the pitch and provide width then he may be given the freedom to cut inside.

There's no maybe about it, it's why he's being bought, a fluid front 5 that is interchangable, it's why I kind of agree on the aguero assertion, however, as stated by others, aguero looked a completely different player the last 10 games, seemingly able to do it to the level expected,.. the Watford game if anything showed he's chomping at the bit... I'm expecting his biggest season in a city shirt before he walks off like John Wayne.....

People seem to be discounting sterling for example, he'll play countlessly as the knock on effect from two quality fullbacks will reveal what a good few have been shouting from the rooftops, a little hidden gem. He's looked awkward at times when switching flanks, this won't be the case going forward!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.