Article 50/Brexit Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should adopt a Northern Europe philosophy. Upset no one, defence force only, no Nuclear weapons, join as many free trading blocs as possible, and pay your due to do so. Never get involved with other countries politics. Educate the people with the money you are saving from the military spend. Live and let live. Balance the divide between rich and poor with taxation. Countries in Northern Europe have large, developed economies and some of the highest standards of living in the world.
That's my thinking.

"We'll lose our influence on the world stage if we leave the EU!" And that's a bad thing? Empire is over peeps. A lad I work with (an Icelandic born Swede) told me all about the system they have and it's certainly admirable. People earn enough to be able to pay taxes and in turn that same system takes care of them. He's not sure if the same system would apply here with our larger population though, but i'd like to see something similar implemented if possible.

In the context of trade deals we can't and that means where one doesn't exist we default to WTO rules. Already that is a defacto bad position to be in compared to someone like the US who has trade deals favouring US companies.

It means any UK company trading anywhere is represented by the EU at the WTO table and not the UK. We effectively trade with the world on either the EU's terms or the country we are trading with and that does not benefit us.

The EU is designed to be a protectionist, internal market, it is not designed to enable any world trade that might benefit a single country. That is great for all of the countries within the EU but internal EU trade is stagnating. When the EU slows every country within it does and we have no choice but to follow.

If we could control, change or even sign deals on our terms to compete for the better of UK companies, maybe just maybe we might do better.

So how are German Companies managing to prosper given that the dreadful EU has them playing the game with one hand tied behind their back.

Sounds to me like your Company isn't terribly successful and you are looking for someone to blame rather than looking at your Co's deficiencies.

Yes we imposed a better way to rule on Germany, to prevent extremism. We should have adopted this ourselves at the same time. The problem is that there is no great support for change and a fairer society.
Maybe we need the equivalent of a Macron in the UK. Someone outside the current system who will draw support from those that want a middle way, a fairer society, one that wants public investment in infrastructure and prioritises education above most other things.

Yeah I never got that. Side note I have a lot of family in Hull and we are all meeting up in August as part of the City of Culture celebration ( yeah ok don't laugh). All largely voted leave. All like the improvements to Hull centre. They all say what has the EU ever done for us. I mean you are literally standing in the middle of something they have done for you. Total disconnect. Weird.
Perhaps they've not forgotten about the decimation of the fishing industry during the 70's? Or the fact that they've had to endure living in one of the most deprived wards in the country year upon year?

I'm not surprised that a City of Culture nomination and a shiny town centre doesn't suddenly appease the majority of folk that have been (and still are) suffering.

Maybe we need the equivalent of a Macron in the UK. Someone outside the current system who will draw support from those that want a middle way, a fairer society, one that wants public investment in infrastructure and prioritises education above most other things.

They have my Vote.

In the context of trade deals we can't and that means where one doesn't exist we default to WTO rules. Already that is a defacto bad position to be in compared to someone like the US who has trade deals favouring US companies.

It means any UK company trading anywhere is represented by the EU at the WTO table and not the UK. We effectively trade with the world on either the EU's terms or the country we are trading with and that does not benefit us.

The EU is designed to be a protectionist, internal market, it is not designed to enable any world trade that might benefit a single country. That is great for all of the countries within the EU but internal EU trade is stagnating. When the EU slows every country within it does and we have no choice but to follow.

If we could control, change or even sign deals on our terms to compete for the better of UK companies, maybe just maybe we might do better.

The EU is, amongst its functions, designed to facilitate trade and reduce trade barriers between its member states and the rest of the world via trade deals or special arrangements (of which it has 100's of agreements in place). I assume you are arguing none of this is UK specific and therefor of little use. Given that the UK is more service orientated than say Germany this may be correct. Germany and others with a more mixed economy seem more adept at exporting to RoW then the UK.

Trade agreements for services are however way more difficult to achieve than goods. In the EU there are still barriers between member states for services (in the US there are service barriers between individual US states) so personally I don't see any realistic chance of the UK striking any great trade deals by itself and certainly not in areas ie services that would be of any use to us. I actually don't see the UK striking any deals within the next decade as we have neither the expertise or clout to drive a good deal. We can settle for a bad deal but I assume we will choose not to.

That said always interesting to get other people's perspective on the matter.

Imagine the back lash from the Murdoch controlled media. They just want a few winners and lots of losers. Would upset their party goers in the south of France.

They have my Vote.
I have a hope that something like this will emerge from the ashes of the last couple of years. The current state of politics cannot surely continue. We have the most incompetent, inept government in our modern history and I cannot see it surviving long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.