William Carvalho

He's definitely slow as shit. But Alonso and Busquets are snails as well. It seems Pep doesn't rate pace in his pivot, but rather passing and link up play. Carvalho certainly fits the bill in that regard.

Whether that style will work in the premier league remains to be seen.

You answered your own question there.

Only real problem with this one is the lack of foreign player places available in the squad.

Pep knows this deep-lying midfield position inside out. It was his position as a player, it was his decision to replace the experienced Yaya with an inexperienced Busquets there, and it was his decision to buy a 30 odd year old Alonso at Bayern and put him in that position.

If Pep thinks he is the right man then we should trust his decision.
If last season is anything to go by then no; Pep doesn't know the DM position inside out. Well over half the goals we conceded cane from our DM (pivot) being outnumbered OR being ghosted past by an opponent breaking at speed.
You need pace in the prem or have pace everywhere to step across (fullbacks) or step up (centre halves) and help out,
Hell I'm not even sure a single DM (pivot) will work in the Prem. If Pep persists with a slow DM I'll tell you if it works after we've played the first 5 games against threat of the top 6 and the defend and break lesser lights we had so much trouble with at home last season.

Last edited:
If last season is anything to go by then no; Pep doesn't know the DM position inside out. Well over half the goals we conceded cane from our DM (pivot) being outnumbered OR being ghosted past by an opponent breaking at speed.
You need pace in the prem or have pace everywhere to step across (fullbacks) or step up (centre halves) and help out,
Hell I'm not even sure a single DM (pivot) will work in the Prem. If Pep persists with a slow DM I'll tell you if it works after we've played the first 5 games against threat of the top 6 and the defend and break lesser lights we had so much trouble with at home last season.

Pep had nobody of any quality at DM to pick from last season. He was having to make do.

Pep had nobody of any quality at DM to pick from last season. He was having to make do.
And at fullback.
I seriously do not think Cavalho is fast enough to deal with it. If he gets pace to help him out from the flanks, then maybe.
Ya ya was out numbered on many an occasion at the end of the season but managed to retain the ball due to his shear power. Fernandinho had the speed but went to ground too quickly trying to make a rather desperate tackle. He got sent off for this. Maybe both will be better with pacey fullbacks.

And at fullback.
I seriously do not think Cavalho is fast enough to deal with it. If he gets pace once he flanks to help out then maybe.
Ya ya was out numbered on many an occasion at the end of the season but managed to retain the ball due to his shear power. Fernandinho had the speed but went to ground too quickly trying to make a rather desperate tackle. He got sent off for this. Maybe both will be better with pacey fullbacks.

You should go into a game thinking this midfield will walk all over the oppenents. Most of the time last season, I shit myself at the thought of a toure, silva and de bruyne midfield. Technically it's brilliant, but it's not enough defensively.

You should go into a game thinking this midfield will walk all over the oppenents. Most of the time last season, I shit myself at the thought of a toure, silva and de bruyne midfield. Technically it's brilliant, but it's not enough defensively.
This is the rub. The major problem was at both fullback positions so things should improve. But will they improve enough?

You're going to have to get used to it, because we're not going to bring in some enforcer just to make you feel more confident in the midfield. Pep knows his way is successful, so the pivot will either be Yaya or Gundogan, or maybe Carvalho if he comes.

Fernandinho might come in for a 3241 but that's not necessarily more defensive.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.