Grenfell Tower block disaster

I think these fires are a rare event so there is time to think this through carefully,millions has been raised for them and it needs to be put to longer term accomodation for them,it's unlikely although not impossible there will be a similar event in the short term,having said that if i was up high in one of those blocks i would want out asap

The risk of a similar event must have increased significantly after Grenfell. There will have been people, either terrorists or arsonists, who will have watched the Grenfell fire and have set their sights on a repeat.

An overnight evacuation does seem a touch OTT. Perhaps emergency measures such as a 24/7 fire warden service might have been sufficient for a week or so. But Grenfell isn't like natural disasters, which might be classed as "a one in a hundred years event". It happened because of dangerous building practices which could be widespread. And sadly we live in a world where people will look to exploit that.

They're evicting the residents out of hotels now! This is a complete shambles.
Grenfell fire survivors moved out of hotel with just hours notice
http://news.sky.com/story/grenfell-fire-survivors-moved-out-of-hotel-with-just-hours-notice-10925401
Its hardly a surprise, its summer in Central London, a place full of tourists, so these hotel rooms will be booked for tourist purposes, harsh as it sounds but these hotels have businesses to run.

In any case, a hotel room is simply not where people should be living long term, they should be found proper accommodation, ie a home, as soon as possible.

Its hardly a surprise, its summer in Central London, a place full of tourists, so these hotel rooms will be booked for tourist purposes, harsh as it sounds but these hotels have businesses to run.

In any case, a hotel room is simply not where people should be living long term, they should be found proper accommodation, ie a home, as soon as possible.
Yes, i understand that, but where is the contingency plan?
Organizations that don't make contingency plans often do poorly when setbacks happen.
Like i said, shambles.

Yes, i understand that, but where is the contingency plan?
Organizations that don't make contingency plans often do poorly when setbacks happen.
Like i said, shambles.

You cannot put contingency plans in relation to accommodation for situations like this.

What would you expect each council to hold back 100s of social housing places in each area in the event of an incident like this happenning? Could you imagine the national outcry with so many homeless on the streets and the demand for homes?

I've thought this too, the press have put it out there which blocks have the suspect classing so what's to stop a terrorist organisation identifying this?

Doesn't require the planning or manufacture of a bomb like Manchester did or even the renting of a van like London. They simply need to walk to a petrol station with a couple of Jerry Cans soak the one of the floors or an empty flat with Petrol and you have another Tinder box like Grenfell. This was an accident that killed 3-4 times as many as Manchester, so I wouldn't be surprised if a terrorist threat was identified. It's not something the Government would want to publicise either as it would cause mass hysteria amongst anyone living in a tower block.
That's a good point but terrorists of all types are thankfully, typically idiots. Murderous idiots but idiots.

You cannot put contingency plans in relation to accommodation for situations like this.

What would you expect each council to hold back 100s of social housing places in each area in the event of an incident like this happenning? Could you imagine the national outcry with so many homeless on the streets and the demand for homes?
No, but there are 33 councils in London, which should make themselves available to take 5-10 families temporally in the event of a emergency situation, besides putting these people in various hotels for a few days here and moving them out at a hours notice, many of whom have lost loved ones. Can't be that complex surely?

Could be up to 3000 people displaced now. That's a lot of people for councils to rehouse even if it is just a temporary situation.

No, but there are 33 councils in London, which should make themselves available to take 5-10 families temporally in the event of a emergency situation, besides putting these people in various hotels for a few days here and moving them out at a hours notice, many of whom have lost loved ones. Can't be that complex surely?

But one of the issues has been that families do not want to be moved to areas they are not familiar with, away from their support networks and the Government has been criticised for this also.

And yes it is complex because for 33 councils to permanently keep back rooms/properties for 5-10 people, based on the possibility of a disaster like this, could result in homeless families/individuals permanently not having somewhere to stay. Would that be fair on those people?

If you have finite resources you cannot not use them based on the possibility of an emergency you do not know if it will ever happen. That would be absurd.

Agree completely mate.

Tragic what has happened but lets all just take a step back, make the right plan for all those affected and get it done right in a real time frame that improves lives and doesn't just make 800 families literally squat for god knows how long in hotel rooms or leisure centre floors!
No, they need to get out asap. So what, a few families get disrupted. Some of the posts in this thread of late are quite scary, thank fuck people like you are not in charge.

Agree completely mate.

Tragic what has happened but lets all just take a step back, make the right plan for all those affected and get it done right in a real time frame that improves lives and doesn't just make 800 families literally squat for god knows how long in hotel rooms or leisure centre floors!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.