Javi Martinez

He's a lot closer to a carthorse (in terms of pace) than he is Usain Bolt IMO. No change of gear whatsoever. I'll bow to others in terms of an assessment of his technical abilities, but I would be concerned about buying anyone to play in the whirlwind Prem who's as phenomenally slow as Martinez, no matter how well developed his positional awareness. I'd be interested to know the asking price....

He can't be much slower than Barry can he? Carrick? Pirlo? Alonso? I'm by no means saying he's as good as those, but pace is only one attribute. Positional intelligence is as if not more important in a Pep team.
Centre half wise, Lescott was a slow as they come, Terry & Vidic would both be considered carthorses.

Having seen BVB, Bayern and Mönchengladbach in the flesh, I'd say the German league is arguably quicker than the Prem.
The transitional play of the German sides is incredibly quick.

You have an interesting strategy for ingratiating yourself as a new member of the forum.

What, talking sense?

Wait maybe this is better:

Hallelujah we're signing a world-class CB/CDM from Bayern. He'll play every game and score the winning goal in the Champions League final. What an amazing signing this will be!

Better?

This is all about strength and depth in the squad. PG has always wanted two top players in every position, and Martinez provides good cover for this. Yes, he may not be the quickest, but he's played for BM many a time and I remember when we were linked previously that'd we'd be over the moon with the signing.

Martinez will be able to cover CB and DM. If we had him this past season, he would have covered perfectly for Gundogan. We've missed that, so for me, I think he'll be a top signing.

A top signing as cover? I guess that's one way of putting it.

But do you start him ahead of Kompany and Otamendi? I can see him getting game time there, particularly with Kompany's injury record, but I wouldn't start him ahead of those two if all were fit and able.
Ahead of Kompany - probably no. Ahead of Ota - definitely yes. But have to say that I don't rate Otamendi at all and would be happy if he leaves.
Would be glad to see Stones-Martinez, Kompany-Martinez or Stones-Kompany pairs this season.

A top signing as cover? I guess that's one way of putting it.

Look back on how important Gareth Barry was to us when we won the league. Was he quick? No. Did he do a job? Yes.

Martinez is in a different league to Barry and will offer us exactly what we need in the middle of the park (and cover at the back). If you didnt go for Martinez, who else would you go for that can do a similar job and be available?

What, talking sense?

Wait maybe this is better:

Hallelujah we're signing a world-class CB/CDM from Bayern. He'll play every game and score the winning goal in the Champions League final. What an amazing signing this will be!

Better?

Who would you like us to sign?

Look back on how important Gareth Barry was to us when we won the league. Was he quick? No. Did he do a job? Yes.

Martinez is in a different league to Barry and will offer us exactly what we need in the middle of the park (and cover at the back). If you didnt go for Martinez, who else would you go for that can do a similar job and be available?

I think you misunderstood. I'm not saying that he isn't a good option to provide cover. I agree with what you wrote. I don't think he's the kind of player that will start most games when fit and improve the squad enormously. Barry is a good analogy.

Sorry, it's just your odd conclusion. Pacy athletic players are beneficial for every team and every tactical solution.

We'll have to disagree, we obviously see the game completely different. Not sure where a deep lying midfielder such as Xabi Alonso fits into this all systems go, high line high press though.
I'm not sure why we'd sign players like De Bruyne, Sané & Sterling if we weren't looking to use their biggest assets.

Anyone could see last season that we abandoned the high press as it simply doesn't/didn't work in the Prem. Pep made reference to a change of approach as other teams were visably happy to launch the ball upfield.

We would be insane to close down the very same space our best players need to thrive in.

I think you misunderstood. I'm not saying that he isn't a good option to provide cover. I agree with what you wrote. I don't think he's the kind of player that will start most games when fit and improve the squad enormously. Barry is a good analogy.

I agree, and I wouldn't expect him to start every game, or even every other. We'll be fighting for every competition this season, its a massive massive season for the club and we'll need all the resources we can get. I think he'll be a good addition to the squad, and certainly wouldn't be a liability.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.