Statue yes or no?

a truly remarkable lady,a lady who dragged this country out of the vice like deathly grip of the unions ,a lady that put great back into great Britain ,a lady that quite literally made my family hundreds of millions, my father into a sir, and this little froggy into a very very rich play boy,i salute you my dear Maggie

Ha.

First of all, I do not believe everything I read in books. Also, it's quite possible, in fact it's common, to be able to form an accurate opinion of a particular person, society, political policy or event without actually being alive at the time. If that was the case; where only those who lived during the time had their opinion taken seriously; mankind wouldn't have progressed very far.

Now I understand circumstances for individuals during a particular time may sway opinion, such as your own I'm guessing, but it doesn't make you anymore correct than me and believe it or not, I happen to know people who were also alive from 1979 onwards.

So, with all due respect, take that condescending tone and shove it.
With all respect, that's not true. You can only fully experience something by living through it. If you don't believe everything you read in books, how have you come to an accurate opinion? By talking to those that lived through it? Trouble is, personal opinions can be different/mellowed with hindsight, my own certainly are on this subject. Age changes one's vision of the world.

82d941354e1d6930be0d23c042f9fa73.jpg

With all respect, that's not true. You can only fully experience something by living through it. If you don't believe everything you read in books, how have you come to an accurate opinion? By talking to those that lived through it? Trouble is, personal opinions can be different/mellowed with hindsight, my own certainly are on this subject. Age changes one's vision of the world.

Of course you can only experience something by living through it, that's literally the definition of experience.

You can fully understand something without having to experience it though.

I do believe some things I read in books and don't believe other things I read in books. You compare authors writing about the same subject and yes that does include listening to the opinions of people there and those that have studied it, but that doesn't mean everyone alive in the 80's has a better grasp of Thatcherism than me.

I happen to disagree with many things she did, poll tax as one example was utterly ridiculous, but there were qualities to admire.

Could you please explain why the poll tax was worse than the council tax.

I was a rate payer then and experienced it.

No there shouldn't be a statue. For all she undoubtedly achieved in politics there were also many, many families left up shit creek and it would be an insult to them. There are surely more inconspicuous ways to remember her without rubbing it in.

Thatcher the baby milk snatcher,what a horrible bastard she was her statue would be destroyed within days

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.