Cyclists

Cyclists who don,t use cycle paths that are separate from the road should be fined.

This is all well good if the cycle lanes are well planed out but all councils have made a right fucking mess of it, they either last about 5 yards or have pavements on either side meaning they never ever get road swept because they cant get a vehicle up there even the little sooty ones, the section from Oldham road up Turing way is a case in point its a total waste of time, continuously flooded at the dip at Philips Park and full of detritus elsewhere.

Over to the left, not 3 abreast, not weaving in and out of traffic, not dodging traffic lights. I know they don't all do those things but obviously the ones I notice do those sort of tricks. Just keep to your own part of the road, was it you who said about lunch time rides and not using the cycle lanes due to the plants etc? Well if I had to drive somewhere regularly that had rough terrain I'd make sure I had a suitable vehicle, so get a mountain bike with knobbly tyres, sorted.
No it wasn't myself. I wouldn't go out at lunch on my bike as I work on an Industrial estate and I'd probably get hit by a truck. I have a mountain bike, thanks.

Judging from your reply, you have no actual idea of the Highway Code and where cyclists are supposed to position themselves on the road. I'd say that makes you more of a problem than most.

My guess is you've not ridden on the roads for a while (if at all)?

Taking the central ground just to impede a motorist would be a ridiculous thing to do as you are far more likely to get knocked off by some angry lunatic who feels that they have more right to be on the road. All cyclists would be happy for you to pass them safely. Whilst part of the highway, the gutter is not there for the cyclist to ride in. It is for drainage of water. Cyclist can't ride in the gutter anyway, as in the main it is littered with crap, stones, bits of metal, and a whole manner of other s**t that will shred your tyres. Also, you don't want to put a wheel on a wet drain cover because it more than likely result in a trip to the tarmac.

Also, most cyclists I know are also car drivers, and good drivers at that because they have respect for all road users.

Well you're right, I've not ridden a pushbike since 1975, no intention of ever doing so, just doesn't appeal.

Right again, a cyclist taking the middle ground to impede a motorist is a ridiculous thing to do, plenty of them do it though, A couple of years ago my work meant a daily commute to Macc from Northwich, nice little country ride through Chelford you'd think, most evenings and some mornings the journey was littered with cyclists, many keeping to the gutter but some would deliberately ride a good yard & a half out into the road, or worse still be 2 or 3 abreast, I think this is wrong, Some would pull right in front of the first car at a give way junction, how is that acceptable, queue up like the rest of us.

So you can't speak for all cyclists like that mate, plenty are twats just like drivers.

I don't claim to be any great shakes as a driver but I know how not to impede my fellow motorists and I realise time is money for a good few of them.

No it wasn't myself. I cycywouldn't go out at lunch on my bike as I work on an Industrial estate and I'd probably get hit by a truck. I have a mountain bike, thanks.

Judging from your reply, you have no actual idea of the Highway Code and where cyclists are supposed to position themselves on the road. I'd say that makes you more of a problem than most.

It is not illegal for a cylist to pass in and out of traffic just as a motor cyclist can do , under one proviso...That it is safe for all concerned to do so .The red or green marked areas at the traffic lights are for cyclist/motorcyclist to stop safely and be seen by motorist before all leave the junction
What bothers most car drivers is the fact that cyclists dont pay tax,but have you ever stopped to think that the same same cyclist may have a car also so they are entitled to use the road just as much as other road users.JMO

It is not illegal for a cylist to pass in and out of traffic just as a motor cyclist can do , under one proviso...That it is safe for all concerned to do so .The red or green marked areas at the traffic lights are for cyclist/motorcyclist to stop safely and be seen by motorist before all leave the junction
What bothers most car drivers is the fact that cyclists dont pay tax,but have you ever stopped to think that the same same cyclist may have a car also so they are entitled to use the road just as much as other road users.JMO
Not sure if you meant to reply to me there.

For the motorists, so they can better understand the notion that the road is shared, or for the cyclists so they can better pick out the driver who is gonna shunt them up the arse or broadside them?

I always regard it as a 'bad day' when I can't get out on my bike and I don't have to travel far before I meet a motorist who leaves me thinking "I wonder what you were trying to do there"? One of the 'best' tests is to see how many motorists try to squeeze through the shortened gap in one of those refuges in the middle of the road where the left hand side is painted green and clearly warns motorists that they should be taking EXTRA care. My rough memory count is running at about fifty percent who try and fifty percent who wait till you've gone through safely on yer bike!
I believe I am a better driver by doing both. There's a pinch point near me where there's one of them crossing refuges. The designers decided, in their wisdom, to place it right where a grid exists in the middle of the cycle lane. Not just any old grid, mind. One with a three inch profile around it, forcing cyclists to come out of their designated lane into the narrowing road traffic, or risk an Eddie Kidd style jump over the said obstacle. Drivers who don't cycle have no idea of this type of sudden impediment that face cyclists on our roads.

No vehicle has any more entitlement to any part of the carriageway than another. All vehicles should keep to the left of the lane at all times; except when turning right, changing lanes or overtaking.
Really? I was always taught to command my position whether in a car, truck or on a bike... makes people behind you think before overtaking

Well you're right, I've not ridden a pushbike since 1975, no intention of ever doing so, just doesn't appeal.

Right again, a cyclist taking the middle ground to impede a motorist is a ridiculous thing to do, plenty of them do it though, A couple of years ago my work meant a daily commute to Macc from Northwich, nice little country ride through Chelford you'd think, most evenings and some mornings the journey was littered with cyclists, many keeping to the gutter but some would deliberately ride a good yard & a half out into the road, or worse still be 2 or 3 abreast, I think this is wrong, Some would pull right in front of the first car at a give way junction, how is that acceptable, queue up like the rest of us.

So you can't speak for all cyclists like that mate, plenty are twats just like drivers.

I don't claim to be any great shakes as a driver but I know how not to impede my fellow motorists and I realise time is money for a good few of them.
Self righteous BS chap... tell me, what happens when a cyclist rides just outside the gutter?

I'll tell you, cars squeeze past when they have no right to do so and force the cyclist into the gutter... not rocket science this....

Self righteous BS chap... tell me, what happens when a cyclist rides just outside the gutter?

I'll tell you, cars squeeze past when they have no right to do so and force the cyclist into the gutter... not rocket science this....

I've already said it's the ones who are a yard and a half or more out, probably because they want to avoid a drain cover in case they slip, I'm happy to share the road with sensible cyclists, maybe it's time they sorted their own out, I'm sure they'll have plenty of damning evidence stored in their helmet cams. I've also agreed that plenty of motorists are inconsiderate twats, I'm not one of them, I don't go around knocking cyclists off but I'm entitled to say it as I see it.

I think it's quite nice to see a family out cycling together and naturally would always give them every consideration, kids need all the guidance they can get on coping with roads. The ones that do my swede in come from the lycra clad brigade, they have lanes provided but don't want to use them in case they pop their tyres, well tough shit, pay bicycle road tax and then you can have them swept regularly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.