2017/18 Checkatrade(EFL) Trophy (15/08 v Rotherham)

I'm guessing as they made these groups according to geography that the 'Category 1' clubs will also go in geographically?

If so, the groups should be something like this (difficult with three NE teams):

Group A - Carlisle United, Fleetwood Town, Morecambe, Newcastle United

Group B - Accrington Stanley, Blackpool, Wigan Athletic, Everton

Group C - Blackburn Rovers, Bury, Rochdale, Manchester City

Group D - Crewe Alexandra, Oldham Athletic, Port Vale, Stoke City

Group E - Coventry City, Shrewsbury Town, Walsall, West Bromwich Albion

Group F - Bradford City, Chesterfield, Rotherham United, Sunderland

Group G - Lincoln City, Mansfield Town, Notts County, Leicester City

Group H - Doncaster Rovers, Grimsby Town, S****horpe United, Middlesbrough

I'm guessing as they made these groups according to geography that the 'Category 1' clubs will also go in geographically?

If so, the groups should be something like this (difficult with three NE teams):

Group A - Carlisle United, Fleetwood Town, Morecambe, Newcastle United

Group B - Accrington Stanley, Blackpool, Wigan Athletic, Everton

Group C - Blackburn Rovers, Bury, Rochdale, Manchester City

Group D - Crewe Alexandra, Oldham Athletic, Port Vale, Stoke City

Group E - Coventry City, Shrewsbury Town, Walsall, West Bromwich Albion

Group F - Bradford City, Chesterfield, Rotherham United, Sunderland

Group G - Lincoln City, Mansfield Town, Notts County, Leicester City

Group H - Doncaster Rovers, Grimsby Town, S****horpe United, Middlesbrough

Seems strange that it's described as a draw for the U21 sides - it won't be much of one unless it is a free draw.

Seems strange that it's described as a draw for the U21 sides - it won't be much of one unless it is a free draw.

It wouldn't make sense to have the initial groups drawn on geographical proximity then have Newcastle potentially drawn into Group E.

I'm sure there's plenty of City fans (myself included) that want to go to these games so hopefully we are in B, C or D.

It wouldn't make sense to have the initial groups drawn on geographical proximity then have Newcastle potentially drawn into Group E.

I'm sure there's plenty of City fans (myself included) that want to go to these games so hopefully we are in B, C or D.

Oh, I agree that you can make an argument for that, but the EFL website suggests it's an open draw.

I suppose the counterargument to geographical split is that there is an element of wanting it to be different draws each season, rather than Carlisle always playing Newcastle from the Cat1 sides. As it's not a league competition, that's probably the overriding point.

Oh, I agree that you can make an argument for that, but the EFL website suggests it's an open draw.

I suppose the counterargument to geographical split is that there is an element of wanting it to be different draws each season, rather than Carlisle always playing Newcastle from the Cat1 sides. As it's not a league competition, that's probably the overriding point.

Totally agree with that. It says on the site they are going to review the process before next season. I guess they need to find the balance between having different groups each season whilst also minimising travel for fans.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.