Real Madrid want Otamendi

Bollox. He has cut out the diving in as well you know. he is miles ahead of Stones in every way and as the other posted just stated, we would have been fucked without him. Alongside Kompany he was solid, but he was equally as impressive without him.
Agree totally.

I've never understood the lack of appreciation for Otamendi, he's a superb defender. Let's compare him to Toby Alderweireld in the league last season who, most on here consider one of the best centre backs in the league.

Games played

Nico - 30
Toby - 30

Clean sheet

Nico - 9
Toby - 14

Tackles

Nico - 69
Toby - 41

Tackle success %

Nico - 75%
Toby - 85%

Interceptions

Nico - 84
Toby - 26

Clearances

Nico - 190
Toby - 162

Headed clearance

Nico - 138
Toby - 84

Recoveries

Nico - 173
Toby - 130

Duals won

Nico - 222
Toby - 92

Ariel battles won

Nico - 117
Toby - 42

Passes

Nico - 1945
Toby - 1522

Big chances created

Nico - 2
Toby - 0

Through balls

Nico - 5
Toby - 1

Even more interestingly - if you compare Nico's stats last season to those of Kompany's during the 11/12 season (where Kompany played 31 league games) - Nico still comes out on top across most of the above.
Think the issue is the goals going in. Ota was the best defender we had when Kompany is out. This is probably why he looked SO much better with vinny. So otas mistakes were Terrible mistakes cause no one could help. I'm confident now if Nico made a mistake, Kompany would be there, walker would be rapid to get back, and same with Mendy. And also a keeper of high quality who can stop these shots. Next season will be much better.

I've never understood the lack of appreciation for Otamendi, he's a superb defender. Let's compare him to Toby Alderweireld in the league last season who, most on here consider one of the best centre backs in the league.

Games played

Nico - 30
Toby - 30

Clean sheet

Nico - 9
Toby - 14

Tackles

Nico - 69
Toby - 41

Tackle success %

Nico - 75%
Toby - 85%

Interceptions

Nico - 84
Toby - 26

Clearances

Nico - 190
Toby - 162

Headed clearance

Nico - 138
Toby - 84

Recoveries

Nico - 173
Toby - 130

Duals won

Nico - 222
Toby - 92

Ariel battles won

Nico - 117
Toby - 42

Passes

Nico - 1945
Toby - 1522

Big chances created

Nico - 2
Toby - 0

Through balls

Nico - 5
Toby - 1

Even more interestingly - if you compare Nico's stats last season to those of Kompany's during the 11/12 season (where Kompany played 31 league games) - Nico still comes out on top across most of the above.
But but but I remember a shit game he had when... But but but He is simply just not good... But but but remember his mistake against... But but but he is a rabid... But but but he is only good next to... But but but his game against Costa shows Mangala is better than....but but but so many of the pundits who don't watch City weekly believe... But but everyone in my section thinks he is... But but but he is always on his ads instead...

And finally, But but but stats don't show everything though. And people who use stats ate just idiots who don't watch the game. Unlike us with perfect memories of watching Bonucci 2ice and Toby 3 times and and whatyoumacallhim once, and then concluding they ate better. I mean, why wouldn't our opinion on faulty memory carry more weight?

My friend, you'll grow tired and weary with this lot.But, but but.... I applaud your attempt :)

Last edited:
Of course statistics such as the ones I shared will never tell the full story, but they do go someway to painting a picture of Otamendi not being anywhere near as incompetent as most on here try to make out, especially when compared to a centre back widely accepted as one of the best in the league.

Let's also not forget that Otamendi played in a team playing hugely expansive football, with little to no protection from midfield and aging full backs. When both fit; Kompany and Otamendi have to be first choice.
Those who read those stat and can't glean from it some obvious facts like
1. Otamendi does more work than Toby. This is glaring from.looking at the data. More tackles won than Toby even attempted. People would say silly things like, well Toby just positions himself well and has to tackle less. But yet same people are impressed by how many tackles Kante gets.

Also if Otamendi was uniquely poor at positioning, this should show up in the interception stats. I.e Toby should be just as good or at least close. But no, he isn't. Not even close. Not even in the same stratosphere.

How about headers. Players who are better positioned also tend to get to those more... No, again, not in the same stratosphere.

How about recoveries. You know the stats that shows you ate good at positioning to pick up lose balls? Again, Toby is nowhere near Otamendi.

There are s few things you can conclude from those stats, even as incomplete as stats are.

1. Toby has significantly more freaking help than Ota. So perhaps its the help that Toby gets from Dier and Wanyama, and then from Vertonghen, Rose and Walker that makes work easier for him.

That the so called anti-stat pundits can't see this, even though its blatant on TV is a bit worrisome.

The 2nd thing you can conclude, without knowing more, is that Otamendi is far from shit.... The numbers he put up year in year out makes it impossible to reach that conclusion.Find me anyone anywhere in Europe who puts up Ota' s #s bit is considered shit. They simply don't exist. Otamendi is not a unicorn.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Nico is better than Bonnucci. Thank God we dodged that bullet.

Games played

Nico - 30
Toby - 30

Clean sheet

Nico - 9
Toby - 14

Tackles

Nico - 69
Toby - 41

Tackle success %

Nico - 75%
Toby - 85%

Interceptions

Nico - 84
Toby - 26

Clearances

Nico - 190
Toby - 162

Headed clearance

Nico - 138
Toby - 84

Recoveries

Nico - 173
Toby - 130

Duals won

Nico - 222
Toby - 92

Ariel battles won

Nico - 117
Toby - 42

Passes

Nico - 1945
Toby - 1522

Big chances created

Nico - 2
Toby - 0

Through balls

Nico - 5
Toby - 1

Is this the man that was the best CB in La Liga 2 seasons ago and came 2nd in the world last season but is not good enough for our high, passing, calm defensive line?!
Wow, those stats are really better that I would have expected. What a player!

Of course statistics such as the ones I shared will never tell the full story, but they do go someway to painting a picture of Otamendi not being anywhere near as incompetent as most on here try to make out, especially when compared to a centre back widely accepted as one of the best in the league.

Let's also not forget that Otamendi played in a team playing hugely expansive football, with little to no protection from midfield and aging full backs. When both fit; Kompany and Otamendi have to be first choice.

Personally, I don't like Ottamendi as I don't think he really reads the game well, hence why he ends up in weird positions so often. For me, he makes too many daft decisions and basic mistakes for a defender, which doesn't help if you put a less experienced defender next to him say Stones, or god help us, an Adarabioyo who would need talking through a game. He always looks better with Kompany next to him, but then so did Lescott.

That said, I'm not sure Baresi and Maldini would have looked comfortable in our side over the last couple of years. Midfield cover is non-existent, which I'm sure will improve this season, but Pep's style will always leave defenders exposed. If we want clean sheets, get Van Gaal or Maureen.

Those who read those stat and can't glean from it some obvious facts like
1. Otamendi does more work than Toby. This is glaring from.looking at the data. More tackles won than Toby even attempted. People would say silly things like, well Toby just positions himself well and has to tackle less. But yet same people are impressed by how many tackles Kante gets.

Also if Otamendi was uniquely poor at positioning, this should show up in the interception stats. I.e Toby should be just as good or at least close. But no, he isn't. Not even close. Not even in the same stratosphere.

How about headers. Players who are better positioned also tend to get to those more... No, again, not in the same stratosphere.

How about recoveries. You know the stats that shows you ate good at positioning to pick up lose balls? Again, Toby is nowhere near Otamendi.

There are s few things you can conclude from those stats, even as incomplete as stats are.

1. Toby has significantly more freaking help than Ota. So perhaps its the help that Toby gets from Dier and Wanyama, and then from Vertonghen, Rose and Walker that makes work easier for him.

That the so called anti-stat pundits can't see this, even though its blatant on TV is a bit worrisome.

The 2nd thing you can conclude, without knowing more, is that Otamendi is far from shit.... The numbers he put up year in year out makes it impossible to reach that conclusion.Find me anyone anywhere in Europe who puts up Ota' s #s bit is considered shit. They simply don't exist. Otamendi is not a unicorn.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Nico is better than Bonnucci. Thank God we dodged that bullet.
Don't agree with a lot of what you so, but this is spot on. People give Aguero, KdB and others a free pass when they took time to adapt to Pep's system and that's when they were surrounded by world class players. Nico had to deal with Stones (who although has potential, is not experienced enough to lead), Kolarov, Clichy, Fernando, Dinho (who is a good player but not a good defender) and Bravo. That's dumpster fire. And yet he somehow managed to adjust to Pep's new system (which btw is a nightmare for defenders), cut out his mistakes and make City the 4th best defence in the league. Put Clichy, Kola and Stones next to Alderweireld/Bonucci and we'll see how these supposed world class defenders fare.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.