BBC pay reveal

England qualifiers really don't pull in that many viewers, and ITV have no other football of note. Also, large chunks of the UK don't give a stuff about the England team.

280M for 4 years of Wimbledon? Do you have a source for that? Almost anything that gains 20% viewing is doing extremely well - I doubt a football qualifier would get even 10M.

What journalistic experience has this fart had? How many years of training? Which university awarded him his first class honours degree in journalism? (Or have Leicester awarded him an Honary Doctorate in Smugness?) It's another aspect of the nonsense that the BBC and other broadcasters seem to peddle - if yer good at one thing then yer must be good at another!

It infuriates me that this snide, self-satisfied, sneering shite is sucking out Christ knows how many licence fees. I remember Hansen trousering the total of 165+ licence fees every time he parked his arse on the MotD sofa. I should imagine JugEars has a similar financial arrangement. And the Beeb encapsulate it with the laughable 'World Class' label!
Lineker did have an extended period of "presenter training" as a deliberate activity when he hung up his boots.
Compare him to other retired footballers doing punditry and presenting and he's head, ears and shoulders above them.

If we were limited to journalists then we'd have the likes of the muppets who turn up on Sunday Supplement.
Even the good ones like Winter and Samuels need a presenter to steer them.

England qualifiers really don't pull in that many viewers, and ITV have no other football of note. Also, large chunks of the UK don't give a stuff about the England team.

280M for 4 years of Wimbledon? Do you have a source for that? Almost anything that gains 20% viewing is doing extremely well - I doubt a football qualifier would get even 10M.

Wimbledon is exclusive to the BBC until 2024
I thought certain high profile sporting events were protected from leaving terrestrial TV
FA Cup final, Wimbledon, The Olympics etc

Chris Evans has topped the list of the BBC's best-paid stars.

He made between £2.2m and £2.25m in 2016/2017, while Claudia Winkleman is the BBC's highest-paid female celebrity, earning between £450,000 and £500,000.

Match of the Day's Gary Lineker earned between £1.75m and £1.8m, the BBC annual report said.

Director general Tony Hall said there was "more to do" on gender and diversity.

The figures reveal large disparities between what men and woman are paid.

There is also disparity between what white stars and those from a black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) background are paid.

George Alagiah, Jason Mohammad and Trevor Nelson are the highest paid BAME stars, each receiving between £250,000 and £300,000.

The highest-paid female star with a BAME background is BBC news presenter Mishal Hussain, who received between £200,000 and £250,000.

It is the first time the pay details of stars earning more than £150,000 have been made public.

The revelations are required under the BBC's new Royal Charter and encompass 96 of its top stars.

The annual report contains pay information in bands and does not reveal exact amounts. Nor does it include stars who receive their pay through BBC Worldwide, the corporation's commercial arm.

The figures quoted only refer to the amount of licence fee money each person receives and do not include their earnings from other broadcasters or commercial activities.

It also does not distinguish between people with multiple jobs within the BBC and those with just one.
The figures also show disparities in pay for people working on the same show, including the judges on Strictly Come Dancing.

Head judge Len Goodman and Bruno Tonoli are in the £200,000-£250,000 band, while Craig Revel Horwood and Darcey Bussell get between £150,000 and £200,000.

Tess Daly, Winkleman's Strictly Come Dancing co-host, was paid between £350,000 and £400,000.

Overall, 25 men on the talent list receive more than £250,000, compared to just nine women.

As he left the BBC earlier after his Radio 2 breakfast show, Chris Evans said it was right "on balance" that star salaries were being disclosed.

"We are the ultimate public company I think, and therefore it's probably right and proper people know what we get paid," he told reporters.

_92787060_line2.gif

The BBC is alone among the UK's major broadcasters in releasing details of its on-air and on-screen talent.

Talent pay is considerably higher in the commercial sector.

Casualty star Derek Thompson is the BBC's highest paid actor, receiving between £350,000 and £400,000 over the last financial year.

Amanda Mealing, who also stars in Casualty as well as Holby City, is the corporation's highest paid actress, receiving between £250,000 and £300,000.

Peter Capaldi, the outgoing star of Doctor Who, was paid between £200,000 and £250,000.

The overall spend on talent is put at £193.5m - down on the £200m spent in 2015/2016.

The figures also show a decrease - from 109 to 96 - in the amount of stars paid more than £150,000.

The total spend on stars with salaries of more than £150,000 is also down £5 million on the £31.9 million paid in the previous financial year.

_92787060_line2.gif

The BBC pay details may not give the full story. Graham Norton's £850,000 pay does not include what he receives from the production company, So TV, that makes his Friday night chat show.

It's also worth noting the name of Matt LeBlanc does not appear on the list - suggesting he is paid by the BBC's commercial operation, BBC Worldwide, and not the licence fee.

Stephen Nolan, who is paid more than £400,000, presents five days a week on BBC Ulster. He also appears on BBC 5 Live and does some TV work.

On BBC Breakfast, neither Louise Minchin nor Charlie Stayt appear on the list but Dan Walker is there with earnings of more than £200,000.

However, he also presents Football Focus and was part of the Rio Olympics coverage.

_92787060_line2.gif

Speaking on the Today programme earlier, Lord Grade - a former director general of the BBC - called the government's insistence that talent pay be disclosed "distasteful and disturbing".

"The net result of this is inflation," he said. "Talent salaries and wages will round upwards, they won't go down."

The annual report shows the BBC continues to reach 95 percent of UK adults every week.

It also shows the iPlayer had its most successful year to date, with an average of 246 million requests each month.

Let 'em leave and get some young guys n' gals on a fraction of what these old farts are on - Sports, News - they are grossly overpaid. Might even result in £100 being knocked off the licence. i wouldn't start with the presenters. though! I'd start will all the chiefs - Directors, Assistant Directors, Chief Director, Assistant Chief Director, Assistant to the Assistant Chief Director, et al! It's true that the BBC bring in a shed load but it seems that people are being paid eye-watering amounts for what hundreds of people could do. We often hear the argument for low pay being that 'anyone can do it, it doesn't take years of training! Same for these people, and besides, how many of them learn on the job the few skills that seem to be necessary to read an autocue. Huw Welsh, Fiona, Sophie? Jeez, a ten year old could do it!

big 'stars' leave the viewing figures drop

Its like saying, let Aguero and Silva go because they are on big wages! and just bring through a couple of players from the youth team

I remember listening to Mark Thompson, the then DG of the BBC, being taken to task about the multiple layers of BBC management and how much these people were earning. He admitted at the time that it was an area of concern and something which required addressing; this interview was in the wake of the financial crisis. To the best of my knowledge, precious little was done about this and these roles continue to exist, probably even more of them, and their salaries will not have come down either. There'll be plenty of wailing and gnashing of teeth about the publication of salaries today, but that is largely because we recognise these people and their pay might not appear commensurate with what they do, but I suspect it simply detracts from where there should be greater public scrutiny.

Are these BBC presenters, etc; getting paid by the PAYE system, or are they still forming their own companies,
and dodging the tax that us mortals have to stump up?

If the BBC didn't pay high salaries then the talent would go to the commercial channels and people would moan that the BBC is lacking in quality.

So, the other option then is for it to become a commercial channel (or a hybrid, like C4) and pay people whatever they hell it wanted; but then, as a commercial channel, the quality would seriously nosedive (see ITV), it would lose any objectivity it has (see Sky) and the likes of Murdoch and Dacre would get their filthy fingers into it (see everything that is wrong and bad in British media).

It has its flaws, but the BBC is one of the best institutions this country has and for whatever its failings and mistakes, and for whatever large sums of money are being paid to its presenters, the alternative is far worse.

This defence doesn't apply to Chris Evans, of course. He is utterly crap and shouldn't be paid by any broadcaster, let alone the BBC.

big 'stars' leave the viewing figures drop

Its like saying, let Aguero and Silva go because they are on big wages! and just bring through a couple of players from the youth team

Am I being Clarkied or are you being serious?

Are you saying that no one will watch the Antiques Road Show if Fiona Bruce doesn't present it, or the viewing figures for MOTD will drop if big ears isn't there to tell us which game is on next?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.