Festival of the 10th Summer - 35 years ago today!

Mad Eyed Screamer

31 years ago today, 19th July 86.

The Smiths, New Order, The Fall, OMD, Pete Shelley, Flag of Convenience, Howard Devoto, Sandie Shaw, John Cale, Wayne Fontana and more, all under one roof for £13 at GMEX. Don't think it even sold out!

A great day.

31 years ago today, 19th July 86.

The Smiths, New Order, The Fall, OMD, Pete Shelley, Flag of Convenience, Howard Devoto, Sandie Shaw, John Cale, Wayne Fontana and more, all under one roof for £13 at GMEX. Don't think it even sold out!

A great day.
Yep, I was there, legendary, what a gig, also if memory serves me, John Cooper Clarke, and a certain ratio and let's not forget Chris Sieve and the freshies plus a small appearance from his alter ego Frank, bless his paper mache head.

Yep, I was there, legendary, what a gig, also if memory serves me, John Cooper Clarke, and a certain ratio and let's not forget Chris Sieve and the freshies plus a small appearance from his alter ego Frank, bless his paper mache head.
Not sure I recall JCC...
Frank came on and swept the stage!

Do you remember Derek Hatton doing a speech on the stage, to a chorus of "you Scouse bastard" and boos and someone climbed onto the stage and twatted him? He was stood there on crutches and couldn't move until the bouncers pulled the lad off him!

Not sure I recall JCC...
Frank came on and swept the stage!

Do you remember Derek Hatton doing a speech on the stage, to a chorus of "you Scouse bastard" and boos and someone climbed onto the stage and twatted him? He was stood there on crutches and couldn't move until the bouncers pulled the lad off him!
No don't remember that, must have been at the bar. All a bit of a blur now to be honest, remember Frank coming out saying "hello" as he used to then had about 30 plastic pots launched at him and that was that. Jcc did his fuck poem . The bars and bogs were round the back off the stage as well, which was weird. Stood there then heard the Prokofiev intro for smiths and had to leg it back. Happy day :)

I was there too. A seminal gig and one of only two where Smiths and New Order shared a bill. I was 16, started drinking cans on the bus at 9am that morning and was asleep under a GMEX table by lunchtime.

Derek Hatton came on stage to thank Manchester for the earlier "From Manchester With Love" gig, where Smiths, New Order and The Fall played a benefit for the Miner's Strike. As stated, he was bottled off stage. To add to the anti-scouse sentiment, the lead singer of OMD was also hit on the head with a beer tray by a stage invader.

It remains the only time I saw the Smiths live. They came on stage about 6pm whereas New Order closed the gig. I loved both bands but gave the result to New Order on points. The Smiths had felt very "crowd-pleasing", playing their hits with Morrissey waving a plackard. New Order opened with a ten minute version of the instrumental "Eligia", and to me it conformed their status as the coolest band on the planet. There was a real rivalry between Smiths and New Order back then, which is why The Smiths played early: they refused to go on right before New Order.

I was at Spike island, I saw The Mondays at the Free Trade Hall and Oasis at Knebworth, along with hundreds of other gigs, but to me this is the gig I am most pleased to have attended. In some ways it was the start of the "Manchester Scene", because it highlighted how much talent and attitude the city was breeding through this era.

I've got the recording on a tape somewhere in the depths of my garage. even if I managed to find the C120, haven't got a tape player!

£13 was seen as a fortune then. I opted not to go but saw the Smiths at Maxwell Hall the following day.

My mate said Bill Grundy was one of the comperes.

music-fans-during-a-performance-by-english-rock-group-the-fall-at-the-picture-id86086708

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.