No connection with the fans anymore.

Have you not considered that those that didn't stop might have had a good reason for it? Maybe they were having a shit day, maybe they needed to rush off to some commitment. So many people forget that just cos they get paid a lot of money they are still people. I'd happily wager if you caught them at a better time they'd have happily signed an autograph for your kids.

That's ridiculous. Football players are not allowed to sleep until they have signed millions of autographs.

As a kid I used to love heading down to platt lane and watching the players train and listening to them chat as they walked back to the Main Stand.

It seems a million miles away from modern football but as much as I blame the players, society is also partly responsible.

For players I would probably keep my distance more from Jo Public knowing the local idiot and his mates will be desperate to get one over me/abuse me and then upload the video to youtube for a few 100k viewers to witness my discomfort.

One of the most disappointing aspects of recent years has been the lack of interaction or acknowledgement from the players. Pre Pep it seemed too much trouble for some players to even clap fans at away matches let alone build up any meaningful rapport.

Its hard to know how the clock could be turned back. By all accounts the likes of Brown, Weaver were regulars in bars around greater manchester in the late 90s but its difficult to imagine that now. More likely some fan would video it, send it to a paper and comment how distasteful seeing rich footballers having a drink in a pub is. Players maybe less open but jo public is partly to blame also.

When I was a kid I was going to watch Rapid Bucharest training. You could not even speak to them, they were herous. I was even ashamed when they were looking into my eyes. Never got the courage to speak to them. Nor my friends. Everyone knew you could not disturb them, but watching them, hearing them... It ment the world to us. Photos, autographs? Nothing, compare to memories.
Really sorry for the kids, but at least they had a great day with their hero, holding their hands. Whats better than that?

I have fell out of love with the game because of the attitude of the players.

With any club, the majority of the players attitude fucking stinks. Too busy with there social media bollocks and false "giving a shit attitude". Unfortunately now, it's about how many 'likes' or how many 'followers' you have now.

I have no bond with any of our current team. If you want that these days go watch your local non league team.

This echoes my thoughts - back in the day, footballers were just normal blokes who were good at football. They knew lifes values, they mingled with fans.

Nowadays, these players (and it isn't entirely their fault) live in a bubble and a player who is average is a millionaire - for example, Thanks Joey Barton is a multi millionaire.

I've never felt more alienated from City, partly as I only can afford to go to at best 4 matches a season - 60 quid a ticket (without travel, food drink etc) equates to 240 quid for those four matches.

For that money, I can pretty much watch a whole season of my local non-league team, where the players play with more honesty and the fans feel that every pound is appreciated.......it isn't just City, it's all top flight clubs.

I also read the list of where the derby in America is being shown.......pretty much everywhere apart from the U.K (mutv doesn't count)

The game has gone

I sometimes think players would like to react like this when constantly dealing with requests for their time

One thing that did strike me as odd was people referring to the players as 'heroes'. Sure they can pull off athletic endeavours and inspirational feats of skill, but heroic acts? Get the fuck out of here. They're kicking a ball around and being paid extremely well for it!

If your kids think these people are 'heroes' I think you're duty bound as a parent to give them a bit of perspective on this.

It works both ways. I have heard some shocking abuse towards our own players from the stands, and even worse on social media.

Changed a lot since Wayne Biggins and Justin Fashanu gave me a lift back from Platt Lane.

It is what it is. No point whining about it all the time.

Personally I prefer nowadays to constant years of depair and desperation, of trying to explain to my young kids why we've just lost at some 3rd diviion team, of driving 300 miles to MR and 300 back to watch Alan Ball's and Frank Clarke's teams - of listening to Radio (2 in those days?) on a Saturday afternoon whilst we lose again. Of letting in 5 at the Old Toilet etc etc. Of being 5th in the League under Peter Reid being absolute heaven because of all the crap that had gone before. I've stood in the box-users bar at Crystal Palace with a 9 yr old son and been just about blanked by Paul Walsh because he was eager to get a couple of bottles of lager down his neck and go out in town in London (Keith Curle took us all round the players after)

When you look at it, after 1968, apart from the sequence of FA, LC and ECWC at that time we've been shite in the top League from 1968 to the takeover, with these exceptions:

Buying Rodney Marsh to throw away a League-winning position
Dave Watson's own goal eventually denying us the league with probably out best team, before the colossal foot-shot of moving Book upstairs and bringing back Big Mal
Peter Reid before he went tits up

How can anyone slag off 'these days' and say everything was wonderful?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.