Media Thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been watching PL years on Sky catch up and we only seem to feature if we've lost.
Funny you should mention that - I was watching a Premier League 2016/17 Review on Sky yesterday and the majority of times we featured we lost, ---- yet every time they showed the League positions for each month we were in the Top 4. I wonder how we did that when we got beat every week (according to the Review)

My favourite exercise as a maths teacher many moons ago was to give the kids an exercise to workout the reading age for various newspapers. It goes by words per square centimetre and number of consonant etc. If I remember correctly The Sun and Mirror came to about 7yrs, The Times about 11yrs and the highest was The Finacial Times at about 14. It may come as something of a surprise to you but the average reading age of the general population is about 9.
I'll be honest, that doesn't sound very scientific. By this measure, I could reprint loads of kid's books in small print and it would suddenly become a really complex text.

Here's a far better tool: http://www.lextutor.ca/vp/comp/

Copy and paste your text into there and it'll tell you the level of the vocabulary in it from K-1 (most common) to K-25 (rarest words). Basically, something with rarer words will typically be using more complex language. I just did an analysis of a story about Donald Trump's new press secretary in it. The BBC News, Daily Mail and Telegraph articles all had virtually identical profiles, with words from K-1 to K-8, and then a single word each at K-14 ('tweeted,' which is probably actually more common but they just haven't updated their corpus recently). The Guardian and FT both top out at K-18, but the Guardian had more low frequency words. Unsurprisingly, the Sun had the simplest language topping out at K-11. Obviously, this isn't particularly scientific either, but if you did it over a long period with a large amount of content from each newspaper, you could probably get a good idea of their linguistic complexity.

Incidentally, given the international nature of news websites and the large number of people reading in their second language, there's now an incentive to use less complex language if they can. The BBC definitely does this.

Daily Express.

PL Stadiums rated 2017/18.

This is a difficult one to call.

But have a guess which stadium was rated the best and why?

Damn it, 6th. Lack of atmosphere.

IMG_0316.jpg

Wait a minute, I can hear a pin drop, but.........

IMG_0317.jpg

You guessed it!

It's never f***ing ending.

It could be a pitch with coats as goal posts and nothing else, and they'd still have the best rated stadium 2017/18

Naive. And wrong. If journalists were such a bunch of philanthropists, they'd all be writing for The Big Issue. Journalism is no different to any other profession. Money talks, bullshit walks. Read your last sentence. You don't really believe that do you? Because truth be told, and I don't mean to be disrespectful, it's utter bollocks.
I assume, on that basis, that you think all the best teachers work in private education, where the financial rewards are greater.

Daily Express.

PL Stadiums rated 2017/18.

This is a difficult one to call.

But have a guess which stadium was rated the best and why?

Damn it, 6th. Lack of atmosphere.

IMG_0316.jpg

Wait a minute, I can hear a pin drop, but.........

IMG_0317.jpg

You guessed it!

It's never f***ing ending.

It could be a pitch with coats as goal posts and nothing else, and they'd still have the best rated stadium 2017/18
your right it really is never ending, in any magazine or paper , but you show this sort of tripe to a rag fan and they think were making it up, and its just normal for them.. really gets my goat

Permit me to enter a lighter note. The Mirror, back before the Sun's tits changed everything was a very good paper. In the 60s, they had excellent writers like Keith Waterhouse and Paul Foot. Before that they had the great William Connor, aka Cassandra. He left the paper in 1940 to aid the war effort. Five years later, he returned and here is the first line of his first resumed column: " As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted.."

When I studied journalism at uni they taught me that the red-tops have a reading age target of 4 years old and broadsheets had a reading age target of 9

Last edited:
your right it really is never ending, in any magazine or paper , but you show this sort of tripe to a rag fan and they think were making it up, and its just normal for them.. really gets my goat

Even Arsenal and the Emirates beat us. Lol!

If there's a quieter stadium, I've yet to be in it.

Spurs beat us because off Wembley.

Liverpool beat us because of the magical PL day's and European nights at Anfield.

Thankfully the one liner never mentioned the queues outside before kick off or at the bars, otherwise we would have been 20th. No mention of empty seats either.

Anyone know why when we transfer a player it is reported at the lowest figure and we are paying the wages for the next 10 years (Kolarov now reported at £4.5m , was £7m) and when we buy a player the total is including wages , bonuses , add-ons and the national debt of the 3rd world , and is a world record fee ,example Walker at over £100m . They don't appear to do this for ANY other club , no doubt it pleases the core readership/viewing customers Rags,Dippers,Goons,Spuds will be lapping it up. Which is why i think we should smash transfer records everytime we sign a player , don't bother with the Delph's and Nolito's of this world , let have Messi , Ladyboy , Robben etc., warming our bench , give them something to really moan about :)

Here's another one that bugs me. Morata announced on Friday at 6. Yellow ticker on sky ran until 9. Danilo announced at 9 ish this morning. Yellow bar already gone by just after half past.

I hate life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.