Dunkirk ( the film )

I saw somebody from SOE interviewed once who reckoned that there were never more than 30,000 in the resistance though numbers swelled once the Allied invasion gathered pace post June 1946. There are claims of numbers approaching 400k by then involved in active resistance. The point he was making was that over 3m French citizens claimed to have been in the resistance in his view.
Thinking back I suppose it depends on what you take as resistance and your involvement. If you worked in a bar just spitting in a beer ordered by a German soldier would in the spitters view be an active act of resistance. I am not sure whether you actually ever formally joined the resistance afterall and secrecy about the membership was paramount.
I wonder how we would have fared / resisted had Adolph hopped over the channel in 1940?
Some posters on here would no doubt have welcomed Hitler with open arms ;-)

Some posters on here would no doubt have welcomed Hitler with open arms ;-)
I'm not aware we have any openly fascist posters. Mind you (and this is definitely a wind-up) early Oswald Mosley could sound a bit like a Brexiteer.
"Mosley blamed the drastic rise of British unemployment on two things: the collapse of foreign economies and Britain's dependence on exporting to those same economies."

Often wondered why recent film (or mini series) makers haven't considered doing something on say the WW2 battles around Cassino etc.
These involved loads of different troops: British, Yanks, Aussies, Kiwi's, South Africans, Indians, French etc against the Germans & Italians, so should have a wide international appeal.
John Irvin was going to do it (a Monte Cassino film) but it seems to have been dropped. On that wide appeal basis Nolan missed a trick - pissing off the French but letting Branagh play a Canadian.

Anyway, here's what the British government gave the BBC in June 1940:

"As the British people watch with pride and admiration the home-coming of their BEF (British Expeditionary Force) their feelings go out no less to their heroic French Allies whose Marines, under their Admiral Abrial are holding the gateway to safety at Dunkirk, whose Navy is sharing with the British the dangerous task of convoying the rescued soldiers to England, and above all, whose soldiers under General Prioux occupying as they do, the positions of greatest danger in the rear-guard of the Allied retreat, are still hewing their way against overwhelming odds to the coast.”

Oh let's go the whole Francophile hog:

And most of the French army evacuated went straight back to fight in parts of then unoccupied France.

Oh and Churchill didn't tell the French we were retreating (Nolan covers that).

Last edited:
I'm not aware we have any openly fascist posters. Mind you (and this is definitely a wind-up) early Oswald Mosley could sound a bit like a Brexiteer.
"Mosley blamed the drastic rise of British unemployment on two things: the collapse of foreign economies and Britain's dependence on exporting to those same economies."
Anyway, here's what the British government gave the BBC in June 1940:

"As the British people watch with pride and admiration the home-coming of their BEF (British Expeditionary Force) their feelings go out no less to their heroic French Allies whose Marines, under their Admiral Abrial are holding the gateway to safety at Dunkirk, whose Navy is sharing with the British the dangerous task of convoying the rescued soldiers to England, and above all, whose soldiers under General Prioux occupying as they do, the positions of greatest danger in the rear-guard of the Allied retreat, are still hewing their way against overwhelming odds to the coast.”

Oh let's go the whole Francophile hog:

And most of the French army evacuated went straight back to fight in parts of then unoccupied France.

Oh and Churchill didn't tell the French we were retreating (Nolan covers that).

Thanks for posting that. Enjoyed it. Hopefully it'll educate some here accusing the French of cowardice.

If you saw the Ian Hislop earlier in the month you would see that pre-Mosley there was a Tory immigrant from India standing in the Brick Lane area of London spouting the same views. He won the seat and went on to become a successful Parliamentarian

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.