Dunkirk ( the film )

I'd love to sit him down before it's too late to write the story but as with many of these brave buggers , it's not for telling

Just ask him. If he doesn't want to that's his right. But he just might. Tell him if people don't tell their stories how shall we remember what so many gave for us and our kids. That it will help all his grandkids connect with history at school.

If that fails sit down with a bottle of malt and have e a laugh. :)

Lots of stuff in that video i would disagree with and some of it seems to be pure pommie bashing.

One of the main reasons the British troops suffered badly in the defence of Dunkirk was that after setting up their initial defence positions, they then had to re-adjust to plug a massive hole in the defences, that was left when the Belgians surrendered.
The British were rushing troops there at the same time as the Germans were advancing into those areas, and hence wasn't able to set-up adequate defensive positions, which resulted in some British units being over-run.
In fact the perimeter was held, but only after some of the fleeing troops were shot or turned about at the bayonet point, by other British units.

Unless you've actually seen and participated in active duty (which I haven't) I don't think we'll ever get our heads around what some people went through in events like Dunkirk , or the war in general.

I have a great uncle , well into his 90's and bed ridden now but still sharp. To have met him he is a meek and quiet man, but he has a story which he won't ever talk about but involves him taking a bridge in Holland despite being heavily out numbered, then defending that bridge before the nazis completely over powered them and ultimately being taken POW before escaping, getting back to Blighty before going back for the big push.

Uncle ken is such a gentle man, and although he's never said it I guess he's killed men, seen mates killed. Just amazing to think of the sacrifices.

I guess just living during the way period was mind blowing. My Nanna talks of the blitz over Manchester as though it was very normal, which I suppose it was at the time. She moved to wythenshawe and with ring way being a training base met loads of paras (married one) who just never came home.

I salute that generation cos we haven't got a clue with our pampered lives.

Sorry for the waffle
Good post,
From what you've described I would bet he was at Arnhem bridge for Operation Market Garden.
Watch a Bridge to Far mate,It will give you an idea of what happened.

I'm not aware we have any openly fascist posters. Mind you (and this is definitely a wind-up) early Oswald Mosley could sound a bit like a Brexiteer.
"Mosley blamed the drastic rise of British unemployment on two things: the collapse of foreign economies and Britain's dependence on exporting to those same economies."
Hitler created a completely united continent, dominated by Germany, a remainers dream.

Thanks for posting that. Enjoyed it. Hopefully it'll educate some here accusing the French of cowardice.
Half of France went on to totally collaborate and actively support the Nazis, involving themselves in
the mass arrest and deportation of Jews and other 'Undesirables,' and implementing nazi policies.
I think we can accuse them of that.

Hitler created a completely united continent, dominated by Germany, a remainers dream.
And Churchill wanted a United States of Europe. I'd think it was a wind-up but I suspect you're serious.

Half of France went on to totally collaborate and actively support the Nazis, involving themselves in
the mass arrest and deportation of Jews and other 'Undesirables,' and implementing nazi policies.
I think we can accuse them of that.
So does Macron. Would it have been any different here? The Channel Islands experience suggests not.

And Churchill wanted a United States of Europe. I'd think it was a wind-up but I suspect you're serious.
Churchill also hoped the empire would last 1000 years, I don't know how serious he was about that.
Tiny specks of land, once invaded, must succumb, I doubt half the UK would have offered up official, full and eager
support for German invaders, you believe they would, hey-ho.

Churchill also hoped the empire would last 1000 years, I don't know how serious he was about that.
Tiny specks of land, once invaded, must succumb, I doubt half the UK would have offered up official, full and eager
support for German invaders, you believe they would, hey-ho.

The German army would have been fucked if it had invaded here....

The Scousers would have stolen all their equipment............................

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.