Women's Football/Mark Sampson

Misguided posting this in a city forum tbh..

The game is growing and if you don't expect it to be like the men's game you will appreciate it far more.

I find the hostility towards the women's game really baffling at times. Yes, the standard isn't as high but that's not because women are shit, it's because the game still hasn't recovered from the 50 year ban and they haven't had the same level of coaching or encouragement. Most of the players in their late twenties and early thirties have grown up in a time when it wasn't the done thing to play the game and would have no idea it could eventually become a profession for them. I've got so much respect for the elite female players as they've gotten to the top even though they would have had nothing much to aspire to when they started out. They're there because they love the game and they've put in hard work in spite of the snide remarks they will have put up with their entire lives.

The standard will improve dramatically in coming years as younger girls are being encouraged to play and are seeing through the success of the Lionesses that hard work and dedication could also result in real opportunities for them too.

All other things being equal, the only side to the women's game that ought to be lacking when compared to the men's is speed and strength. That's all relative though so wouldn't affect the enjoyment of the game anyway. It's shit attitudes and the continuing display of fragile masculinity from (a thankfully decreasing) section of society that has held the game back. It's getting there though.

Did anyone hear the cockney 'journalist' from The Sun on the Press Pass on Talksport last night?

I was half expecting him to say that a women's place is in the home.

He even referred to himself as a dinosaur at one point, presumably before anyone else did.

I find the hostility towards the women's game really baffling at times. Yes, the standard isn't as high but that's not because women are shit, it's because the game still hasn't recovered from the 50 year ban and they haven't had the same level of coaching or encouragement. Most of the players in their late twenties and early thirties have grown up in a time when it wasn't the done thing to play the game and would have no idea it could eventually become a profession for them. I've got so much respect for the elite female players as they've gotten to the top even though they would have had nothing much to aspire to when they started out. They're there because they love the game and they've put in hard work in spite of the snide remarks they will have put up with their entire lives.

The standard will improve dramatically in coming years as younger girls are being encouraged to play and are seeing through the success of the Lionesses that hard work and dedication could also result in real opportunities for them too.

All other things being equal, the only side to the women's game that ought to be lacking when compared to the men's is speed and strength. That's all relative though so wouldn't affect the enjoyment of the game anyway. It's shit attitudes and the continuing display of fragile masculinity from (a thankfully decreasing) section of society that has held the game back. It's getting there though.
City have identified this.
When they took over the running of the ladies team they aggressively marketed women's football.
It's not a matter of if anymore, but when, when will the ladies team out grow the mini etihad and play in the main stadium?

I quite like Woman's football but while the men's season is on I wish the media would refrain from using headlines such as 'Arsenal cruise past Chelsea to tighten grip on league' when referring to the woman's game because it gets confusing as hell. Just a thought I had.

City have identified this.
When they took over the running of the ladies team they aggressively marketed women's football.
It's not a matter of if anymore, but when, when will the ladies team out grow the mini etihad and play in the main stadium?

Could take a while for that to happen but I'm proud that the club is playing such a huge part in helping the game to grow and our average attendances have tipped the 3k mark (I think?)

I think City should be rightly proud of the role they've played in the progress of the England team as well as their own.

Could take a while for that to happen but I'm proud that the club is playing such a huge part in helping the game to grow and our average attendances have tipped the 3k mark (I think?)
I think it will take a while too.
But it is slowly increasing.
think we have already broken modern day crowd record, which isn't that high to be fair.

I think it's alright tbf, and I'm happy that City have a top team. It'll never be as popular or valuable as the men's game but hopefully in future that will narrow somewhat and we'll start seeing it a lot more.

The quality is improving loads and if it increases the exposure of Manchester City as a whole, then I'm all for it. Plus it's just another thing the scum over the road deserve grief for.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.