Brighton (A) - Pre match thread - Finally!

Brighton vs City prediction

• Win

Votes: 481 93.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 23 4.4%
  • Lose

Votes: 13 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this gem in the Brighton forum...

"I don't think Man City will want to over extend themselves in the first game against lowly opposition, so once they have a one goal advantage I think they will park the bus and save themselves for the next game."

Followed by this bizarre comment:

"1 -1

Citeh always seem to struggle in first game of season."

They all seem very confident they'll score against us though, which makes sense. I mean if West Ham and Tottenham can't do it then they must be able to, right? I feel sorry for fans like those- all they have to go on is the media bullshit about City having a terrible defense and Pep being arrogant. Would love to smash them 4-0 now.

Always been like that, fans want the team to go for the jugular when the teams are on top 1-0. but the manager is cautious. It would not be unknown for a team too sacrifice possession to catch the opposition on the break forcing them to play atypically (e.g. Atletico). Odds on if City go 1-0 up, Brighton will not be able get hold of the ball. Not parking the bus but playing a little deeper and encouraging Brighton to overextend themselves and picking them off.

Knockaert is injured and I would be surprised if he starts the game. it is not Chris Hughton's policy to start a player that is not fully fit. He was on crutches last week

Brighton will play a deep 4-4-1-1. Propper may well make his debut and fill the missing link in the defensive formation. The other missing link is a striker. The first choice is the diminutive Sam Baldock but he is injured. Glenn Murray hasn't got the legs and Tomer Hemed is a bit ordinary. 1-1.

Last edited:
Good game for us this as Brighton came up being known for playing good attacking football, they'll have to curb that slightly if they are to survive but they won't do that without at least giving it a shot playing the way they did last season. Add to that the fact they're playing one of the favourites for the league and won't be expecting anything, they'll be well up for it and will be a lot more open than we'll be used to seeing for the rest of the season. As long as everybody is switched on it should allow us to establish a dominance and score a few goals. going for 3-0 with 1, possibly 2 goals coming in the last 10 minutes.

Can't see passed him playing 3-5-2 first game. Whilst this type of game is more suited to last seasons formation i just can't see Pep playing it all pre-season and then not using it first game.

-----------------Ederson

------Kompany Stones Otamendi

Walker---- ----Yaya---------- Danilo

---------Silva ---------KDB

---------Jesus---- Aguero

Subs; Bravo,Sterling,Sane,Fernandinho, Bernardo,Mangala,(one of Foden/Diaz/Tosin)

Lack of defensive options on the bench i think shows we need another man there, two injuries/suspensions and we're down to emergency roles or limiting how we can play.

Not seen any sign of Bravo in training, surely he won't be ready for Brighton even as back up?

Must be Muric or Grimshaw on the bench? I'd go with Muric.

I'm expecting something similar to Cardiff away in 2013 - first away game under Pelle and they were a newly promoted team too. Crowd were well up for it. It was an open, flowing game and we lost mainly because we couldn't defend corners. I'm old school. I'm not taking anything for granted.

He is in the training video today mate, he will be on the bench and then will play v Girona after the Brighton game. Depends how Ederson's first game goes as to when Bravo gets back in (if at all)

Hope eddie keeps the shirt,there will be heart stopping moments but i reckon he will save us many more times than any risks that don't come off

I went for a 0-4 scoreline in the guessing thread, but I will say it is absolutely imperative that we score in the first 30'. It seemed to me last season when we played the lower teams that we strolled if we scored early, and left it very late if we didn't.

I'm expecting something similar to Cardiff away in 2013 - first away game under Pelle and they were a newly promoted team too. Crowd were well up for it. It was an open, flowing game and we lost mainly because we couldn't defend corners. I'm old school. I'm not taking anything for granted.

+1, newly promoted teams are always up for it on first day, seem to recall us struggling to beat Southampton 3 or 4 years ago too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.