City to play Girona on the 15th August

We're camping, away for 2.5 weeks. Good job my wife likes footy. Sounds like Girona is a nice place too. Where are you staying? Think we're half way between Barca and Girona on the coast. We'll be thrown off topic here soon!

We are going to have saturday night Girona, sunday and monday in Barcelona and tues/wed/Thur in Girona. Booked the hotel ultoni in Girona and looking at hotels, with a pool, near the beach in Barca but not booked as yet. Hoping they will sell out so we can do a nice cheap hostel lol.

We are going to have saturday night Girona, sunday and monday in Barcelona and tues/wed/Thur in Girona. Booked the hotel ultoni in Girona and looking at hotels, with a pool, near the beach in Barca but not booked as yet. Hoping they will sell out so we can do a nice cheap hostel lol.

Ultonia is a good location. In the new part but just a few mins walk from Placa De Indepencia Square. Which is beautiful with bars/restaurants.
Then from the East corner cross one of the bridges into the Old Town.
If you have car can I suggest you look at L'Estartit on the coast. Great beach, safe swimming and you can drive you car onto the beach.
Proably bump not you somewhere along the way. I'me there from Mon to Fri.

Ultonia is a good location. In the new part but just a few mins walk from Placa De Indepencia Square. Which is beautiful with bars/restaurants.
If you have car can I suggest you look at L'Estartit on the coast. Great beach, safe swimming and you can drive you car onto the beach.

I meant to add for you and anyone staying in Girona. Devasa Park which is more or less in the City Centre, few mins walk from your Hotel, has a huge outdoor pool.
Has sun beds, large grassy area with plenty of shade, little Cafe. Great place if it gets too hot for you.
Have to pay but place is spotless.

Should be a good run.So many things to see and do in Catalonia.
Girona or Gerona is a facinating City that should delight even the most ardent of Anglophils.
It's always healthy on a Euro away to breath and imbibe a little of the City you visit.
The football and "The Gathering" is always the pinicle of any run but look around and what do you see ?
In Saltzburg we had the lake district and unterzburg mountains Mozart and the sound of music tour.
On Dormund runs the Moenhe dam.
Amsterdam the delightful coffee houses and canals etc etc etc.
Girona has it's own distinct charm and is very compact to navigate by foot.
Use the bridges of the river as your guide.

If your a fan of Game Of Thrones why not visit some of the sights used in the filming.
The ancient cathedral is a tip top example of catalanian gothic archetecture.
You have to pay to go inside but prepare to be amazed.
Eighty six steps to access should be enough to work up a proper thirst and there is a good watering hole at the bottom called the River Cafe.
Lots of craft beers and local specialities.I think the brew here is Estrella.
They also feature over 30 gins from around the globe.

https://www.timeout.com/girona/bars-and-pubs/the-river-cafe

Here is the scene featuring the cathedral from G.O.T.
Obviously no sea in Girona and just the work of clever CSI but do allow your imaginations to flow.

The main eating and drinking places if you possess any assemblance of a taste bud should be the tried and trusted Irish bars.
None so traditional as Mciernans on the Rambla in the Barry Vell which means old town.
The Barry Vell is located on the East side of the river.
After fueling up on local speciality dishes of shep-pie and Lasagne why not burn of the calories by walking the city walls.

http://www.mckiernanspub.com/

Here is a clever interactive scroll map to help familiarize with surroundings.You can also zoom in and out

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1H3C1ZEkdGMFLfxPrgNmkoJPmf1M&ll=41.983842999999986,2.824025000000006&z=17

A good spot mentioned by Mr Road is situated on the west bank called Placa de la Indepenencia.
One of the usual Catalan clone like squares surrounded by many bars.
The heatwave called Lucifer is currently doing the rounds so do cream up and stay safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nice one mate thank you for the information. Yes we chose Ultonia based on its location as all the reviews said its a good place to get around. Staying in the old town on saturday night before decamping for Barcelona on sunday and monday and then in the Ultonia from tues to friday. The missus liked the look of the place also.

Any recommendations for a drink before the game?

Nice one mate thank you for the information. Yes we chose Ultonia based on its location as all the reviews said its a good place to get around. Staying in the old town on saturday night before decamping for Barcelona on sunday and monday and then in the Ultonia from tues to friday. The missus liked the look of the place also.

Any recommendations for a drink before the game?

There are no bars near the ground (there is one small cafe type one about halfway from town) it's in a residential area.
About half an hours walk, would recommend a taxi.
There is a Bus I think it's the L1 which goes near.
Never seen a taxi or a bus after the game but it's not a bad walk back.
The taxi rank in Girona is just off the Independence square.
Just drink in Town, most City I would think will be in the Square or on the small Ramblas which are about 2 mins walk apart.
It's very compact the Old Town would suggest you wander round near the Cathedral, it's narrow streets provide shade and there are plenty of little bars.

Just driven round the outskirts of Girona and arrived at our campsite for the next fortnight. Bring it on.

Last edited by a moderator:
As this is a friendly just hope that we don't come back with any players injured. If we do I won't be very happ.y with Pep

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.