Peter Beagrie - Sacked from sky

There's a difference with self destructive behaviour, religious views, and being a thug who has beaten up his girlfriend on 4 or 5 occasions in the past, who has been charged and found guilty. he was stood over his girlfriend shouting " I'm going to rip your f****** throat out' and 'f*** off you c***' " you aren't seriously comparing the behaviour of Merson, Hoddle etc with that of Beagrie are you?
I'm not trying to condone or play down what Beagrie did but does it impact or have any bearing on his ability to do his job? Hoddle's views were horribly offensive and, in my opinion, far more worthy of him being banned from the airwaves. Alan Brazil has failed to turn up to do his show because he's been too pissed on a number of occasions. Would you or I get away with that in our jobs?

I'm not trying to condone or play down what Beagrie did but does it impact or have any bearing on his ability to do his job? Hoddle's views were horribly offensive and, in my opinion, far more worthy of him being banned from the airwaves. Alan Brazil has failed to turn up to do his show because he's been too pissed on a number of occasions. Would you or I get away with that in our jobs?

Slightly rhetorical point I know but whether you would get away from it depends on your employer. If they decided that your behaviour was a consequence of alcohol addiction then rather than sacking you after verbal and written warnings you may be referred via occupational health to a alcohol counselling, addiction treatment etc, etc. An employee who engages with this in an attempt to address their problem may well keep their job.

The difference with Beagrie is that he's been convicted of committing a violent assault. Moreover it's a domestic assault against his partner. This, rightly, is deemed to be socially unacceptable and a broadcaster such as Sky can't been seen to be ignoring it or tacitly condoning it by not taking action. Whether it has a bearing on his ability to do his job is irrelevant.

Slightly rhetorical point I know but whether you would get away from it depends on your employer. If they decided that your behaviour was a consequence of alcohol addiction then rather than sacking you after verbal and written warnings you may be referred via occupational health to a alcohol counselling, addiction treatment etc, etc. An employee who engages with this in an attempt to address their problem may well keep their job.

The difference with Beagrie is that he's been convicted of committing a violent assault. Moreover it's a domestic assault against his partner. This, rightly, is deemed to be socially unacceptable and a broadcaster such as Sky can't been seen to be ignoring it or tacitly condoning it by not taking action. Whether it has a bearing on his ability to do his job is irrelevant.
Also depends on how valuable you are too them. There's a lot of hypocrisy around people in the public eye such as presenters and football players.

If Jeff Stelling or someone high profile had done this, I suspect they'd take a more relaxed view as he's more valuable to them. Beagrie is easily replaced so they can afford to take the moral high-ground.

We did when Meppen-Walter was sent to prison and we released him but would we have done that if had been someone like Aguero or Silva?

Huge blow to him though - was on 300k a year plus at sky. Won't be getting that again.

Big price to play for a bit of a domestic.

Huge blow to him though - was on 300k a year plus at sky. Won't be getting that again.

To be fair mate if you're earning a good living ie 300k a year for talking best to walk away from your missus not knock the shit out of her.I earn just over a tenth of that a year if I was convicted of knocking shit out of the wife I wouldn't have a job either, he really has only himself to blame.

To be fair mate if you're earning a good living ie 300k a year for talking best to walk away from your missus not knock the shit out of her.I earn just over a tenth of that a year if I was convicted of knocking shit out of the wife I wouldn't have a job either, he really has only himself to blame.

Yes I agree. Stupid man.

I dont know if your purposely trolling or trying to get a reaction with the 'bit of a domestic' line but the bloke has been convicted of assault,by way of punching his partner,this was after two previous allegations of abuse were not pursued as she withdrew the complaint.

This is a cowardly attack on a vunerable female,to describe,and dismiss,such an incident,is neither factual or acceptable and most certainly not something that should be brushed off in the manner you did.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.