Jonny Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has made me think again too.

"Should we really be surprised that Guardiola is now targeting the 29-year-old? No, of course not. Perhaps the biggest surprise is that Evans has not been more of a permanent fixture in the gossip columns this summer.

He could easily play for any of the top-four clubs, with his positional sense, reading of the game and ability on the ball making him tailor-made for Guardiola. John Stones, signed for £47.5 million last year, could learn a lot off him."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/17/jonny-evans-no-one-should-surprised-man-city-want/

Taking away the rag association he's an established international, played in the Champions League etc and been involved in league winning sides. He's not a glamour signing and wouldn't be a first choice selection but if he's a good professional (as he appears to be) and is prepared to come here and be part of the squad then I don't have a problem with it.

My preference would be to keep hold of Mangala as I'd like to see him given a chance to prove himself, by all accounts that isn't going to happen though.

How will Evans cope playing a high line against an opposition with pace up front?

I don't care who he used to play for; I just can't understand the logic. Mangala is like Bambi on ice with the ball at his feet, but at least he's got pace. Mangala is not the answer, but neither is Evans. To play with Pep's high line, we need the insurance policy of a lightning centre half. We know teams are going to defend on the edge of their penalty box against us this season and hope to hit us on the break. Without pace in that back three, we become vulnerable to having 80% possession and losing 0-1 to a breakaway goal.

fucking hell mate, its like a soap opera all that....what other tit-bits of info have you got on the players???
The point I am making is that I don't care about any of the personal mistakes that the players make as long as they do their job and neither should any other fan in my opinion.

The first Balotelli goal in the 6-1 is the only goal City have ever scored against Utd in the league with Evans on the pitch.

Doesn't surprise me: I'm sure I recall him having some irritatingly good games against us.

In general, never paid him much attention so don't have a definitive view but I'm sure City have done their homework, which is no guarantee..

If we sign him, I'll judge him on current performance and not his past.

I get where you are coming from but realistically I don't rate Evans and that's not being biased because he played for the scum.
Nutting a player happens... Been sent off a few times when I played, but spitting is indefensible...if he had spat at me he wouldn't have walked off the pitch.
Overlooking the fact that he's an ex scum player I still don't think he's worth a punt on ...why waste £20 million on a stop gap when for extra £40 million we could have a player for 4 years plus.

I see why you're unsure and to be honest so am I but I'm sure Pep and Txiki and co have their reasons for wanting him- assuming the story is true- and I suppose what we want is a player on low-ish wages with experience and minimal risk. When you sign Jonny Evans you know exactly what you're getting, whereas maybe Inigo Martinez is something of an unknown entity, a bit like Mangala was- we didn't know if he'd adapt and so he was a gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.