Jonny Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be wrong, but I suspect you are assuming we have just thrown a dart at the board without any due diligence at all - just dont think we operate that way

I agree mate....I give the club alot more credit than that but we've had atleast 3 or 4 other reported targets in front of this one since the summer started and likely the club feels we've had to spend more on other targets than planned, so are "settling" for Evans who they feel can do a solid job but a big drop off in talent from original targets. Maybe giving us room to get the Sanchez deal done is also having a big factor....Talent wise I think they taking a risk and allowing other business to impact on this one. I feel they trying to look at the bigger transfer picture, which makes good business sense but doesnt change the fact this is a average signing in an area of concern.

£25m is excessive, but we're clearly operating in a hugely inflated market. Besides, I don't care much about transfer fees, it doesn't really have any impact on me personally so it's hard to give too much of a shit. There's no way he'll be on £140k a week either.

As mentioned, I'm not particularly excited about the move but am surprised by the level of hostility. The notion that Guardiola will give a fuck what the fans think is fanciful at best.

I think he'll do a better job than many expect. There aren't many left sided, experienced, home grown centre backs out there, so think it's a fairly pragmatic signing in that respect. I haven't seen many viable alternatives suggested in this thread, put it that way.

If Kompany is injured we play a back three he is second choice to Kompany.

If Evans is great, yeah we might.

If he's not great, we'll go 4141 and he'll be on the bench.

So stop pretending like any injury to Kompany will see Evans play 60 games a season. It's bullsht.

Absolutely spot on - well said.
He wont be the first ex Rag that signed for us and no doubt the last. IIRC, the last one was held in pretty high esteem on here
There is a big difference between Tevez, a world class player who hated Ferguson and would gleefully celebrate scoring against them, and a mediocre player who we wouldn't normally consider buying but for the loss of Alves, who continues to support our fiercest rivals.

£25m is excessive, but we're clearly operating in a hugely inflated market. Besides, I don't care much about transfer fees, it doesn't really have any impact on me personally so it's hard to give too much of a shit. There's no way he'll be on £140k a week either.

As mentioned, I'm not particularly excited about the move but am surprised by the level of hostility. The notion that Guardiola will give a fuck what the fans think is fanciful at best.

I think he'll do a better job than many expect. There aren't many left sides, experienced, home grown centre backs out there, so think it's a fairly pragmatic signing in that respect. I haven't seen many viable alternatives suggested in this thread, put it that way.

I'd agree with that except that I don't think 20M plus is excessive in the current market really. He is WBA's captain, best player, very experienced, still has at least a couple of years left on his contract and they don't want or need to sell.

I get the feeling other factors in play here mate....This isnt just about whether Pep feels he's a solid defender...It would seem he wasnt even on our list of targets at the start of the summer and is likely a 4th or 5th option. For me this is all about budget and homegrown. Almost like going into a sweet shop and asking what can I get for my 50p! ;) Maybe he turns out a solid move but a big drop off in talent from original targets at the position. I'm sure people will start feeling a little better if the saving on this signing, is the difference in getting Sanchez over the line!

At the start of the summer we didnt know that Kompany would make it through pre season and the opening match. The fact that we're going for Evans rather than a potential first choice centre back must mean that the club are happy with Kompany's fitness.

Law actually played for us before the rags...
although we did sign him from them for his second spell

i also like to remind rags that matt busby was our centre half and captained our team in some games..

not that your a rag though matey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.