Jonny Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's played there quite a few times for United and West Brom, but yeah he's not really a Guardiola type full back!

Nope, struggling to see the logic with this. Yes he is a solid defender, but playing in a Pulis team with a shield in front of you makes him look better than he is. Just seemed like an opportunity to let toisin get some experience, or keep the mangler - Not sure Evans is any better than him.

If Evans is great, yeah we might.

If he's not great, we'll go 4141 and he'll be on the bench.

So stop pretending like any injury to Kompany will see Evans play 60 games a season. It's bullsht.
I'm Not trying to pretend anything and sorry if it comes over that way. I have made the point before not in relation to Evans( I think it was Mangala) that whoever we get in as centre back will probably play a lot particularly if we play a back three. Although fourth choice sounds low in the pecking order the reality is that quite a bit is probably expected from them.

I don't understand the negativity around this. Nobody can be more anti rag than myself, however........

The price really is irrelevant unless it prevents other purchases.

He is being bought as he fits the bill of a left sided CB. He is highly respected within football and will be a great addition to the squad.

Remove the blinkers and forget his red past. All players who wear the shirt under Pep will give 100% and deserve our support.

We need a quality left sided defender and Evans can play CB and LB.

This is going to happen so get behind it please blues!!

At the start of the summer we didnt know that Kompany would make it through pre season and the opening match. The fact that we're going for Evans rather than a potential first choice centre back must mean that the club are happy with Kompany's fitness.

Good point mate but if reports are true that we are planning to "manage" Kompany's game time to help with his fitness, then its possible Evans is 1st choice alot more than we would like to think....After the poor jugdement we made over Mangala, who has clearly not been wanted by Pep since the minute he came in the door, its only natural to atleast question this move...

£25m is excessive, but we're clearly operating in a hugely inflated market. Besides, I don't care much about transfer fees, it doesn't really have any impact on me personally so it's hard to give too much of a shit. There's no way he'll be on £140k a week either.

As mentioned, I'm not particularly excited about the move but am surprised by the level of hostility. The notion that Guardiola will give a fuck what the fans think is fanciful at best.

I think he'll do a better job than many expect. There aren't many left sided, experienced, home grown centre backs out there, so think it's a fairly pragmatic signing in that respect. I haven't seen many viable alternatives suggested in this thread, put it that way.

Ric, you are normally the voice of reason but I'm going to have to disagree with the majority of your post here.

£25 million is crazy even in this market. I thought one of the points of going for Evans is he was cheap. I don't think its turning out that way.

The argument that what City pay for a player is irrelevant because it doesn't affect the poster personally is the most repeated brain dead argument I see on BM. If that was a legitimate argument there wouldn't be any point in a forum since the vast majority of what City do doesn't affect us personally. The amount is relevant because if affects where the remainder of our budget is spent as a lot of people who support this transfer are pointing out.

While I agree that City won't care much about how a player is received there will likely be a little consideration. Remember how Milan binned 100 million for Kaka partly due to the fans reaction to selling him.

You might be correct on the job he will do for us we will have to wait and see but I think City quite often pick a CH with the premise that he will do for now. It's been going on a long time with millions wasted on the likes of Mangala Savic and Nastasic.

It's clear that we need a striker and a CH. it's debatable which is more important and a close run thing but for me our reliance on Kompany is our weak point.

It may help when we see the overall plan City have in mind with the remaining budget but right now a 29 year old CH from WBA for £25 million looks like another signing that will be thrown in an expensive bin very soon. Lastly I don't think he is the sort of player who will improve us, except in an emergency, and is a panic buy.

The fact that he is ex United is irrelevant to me.

Last edited:
price is irrelevant.
the fact that he played for utd is irrelevant.

the fact that he is a bang average player in a pivotal position is the only thing of relevance and that is a huge problem...we hsve spent numerous transfer windows looking for a decent centre half and we are scrapping the bottom of the barrel and as soo as he steps into a team playing a high defensive line there will be problems

So with 270+ pages, I assume it's not just the normal level of Sky sources accuracy?

Jonny Evans for 25m? Are you fucking serious? After all the shit we give the likes of Bruce and Co for buying up average well overpriced rag cast offs in the misguided hope they have some of that 'winning mentality'? Get to fuck!

Remember the transfer team presentation at the CFA open day last season.

They have a list of players in each area of the field they want to buy. Or are looking to buy.

They try and buy the player who is at the top of each list.

Then they work their way down the list until they buy a player.

Where in that list is Jonny Evans. 4th? 5th? Maybe 3rd?? Certainly not 1st or 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.