Patrick Roberts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps Sinclair has been instrumental in turning Roberts on to Celtic , now that he feels like a " £10million player again " !!

FFS - just about says it all .

It's a terrible deal for us. Where's the benefit? He's had 18 months there, he's clearly not shown to Pep that he's good enough at this moment and i'd question how much better he can get playing in that standard of league when it's just going to be more of the same for him. To constantly improve at anything in life you need to be challenging yourself, i'll say it now, he'll stagnate at Celtic where everything is easy for him. Should have had the balls to test himself at Southampton and we should have insisted on it, or at the very least denied him going back to Celtic on loan.

Also don't buy into the whole "he'll play in the champions league" thing. For a young lad, sure, playing in the champions league is a big and nice thing for him, but what is likely to be 6 games maximum in a season isn't enough to make you better, especially not compared to an entire season at Southampton against quality opposition every single week. It shows a weak mentality from him and unless that changes, he'll never make it to the level his potential suggests.

If he goes to Celtic, then its either on loan or for 7m with a 15m buyback for the duration of the contract, we would be mad otherwise.

He can have 2 good years at Celtic, still be only 22 and become a 40m player easily, I'm sure City are taking a hard stance on him and rightly so.

Perhaps Sinclair has been instrumental in turning Roberts on to Celtic , now that he feels like a " £10million player again " !!

FFS - just about says it all .
You could be on to something. It isn't inconceivable that Sinclair has talked down City to him. Told him how he was an up and comer at Swansea and went to City and got no playing time/respect and warned Patrick the same would/could happen to him.

It's a terrible deal for us. Where's the benefit? He's had 18 months there, he's clearly not shown to Pep that he's good enough at this moment and i'd question how much better he can get playing in that standard of league when it's just going to be more of the same for him. To constantly improve at anything in life you need to be challenging yourself, i'll say it now, he'll stagnate at Celtic where everything is easy for him. Should have had the balls to test himself at Southampton and we should have insisted on it, or at the very least denied him going back to Celtic on loan.

Also don't buy into the whole "he'll play in the champions league" thing. For a young lad, sure, playing in the champions league is a big and nice thing for him, but what is likely to be 6 games maximum in a season isn't enough to make you better, especially not compared to an entire season at Southampton against quality opposition every single week. It shows a weak mentality from him and unless that changes, he'll never make it to the level his potential suggests.
100%

You could be on to something. It isn't inconceivable that Sinclair has talked down City to him. Told him how he was an up and comer at Swansea and went to City and got no playing time/respect and warned Patrick the same would/could happen to him.

Maybe but it doesn't change the fact that Sinclair was actually shite whilst at City, and nothing has really changed , despite his " success " at Celtic.

How can we insist on it? Can't force the lad to play for a club he doesn't want to play for.

It's also a terrible move in terms of potential International recognition. A great season on loan at Southampton and he could easily find himself on the verge of an England call up in a World Cup year. But he's got no chance of that playing in the SPL

This doesn't come as a surprise to me, even if it's the best for his development I cannot imagine what I'd do in the same situation so its unfair for me to judge. He is going back to a club that absolutely loves him and he still gets to play (even if its a lower level), as oppose to a loan to a new club where things may go wrong.

Personally, I feel Pep didn't evaluate him enough on pre-season, played 45 mins against United in the first game where everyone looked poor, then got like 45 minutes total over the next 3 or 4 games. Feel like him and Zinchenko should have been brought in with Fernando and Delph going out, at 20 years of age they were in a much better position physically and mentally to be integrated into the squad than Foden and Diaz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.