Everton - Post match thread.

I find it odd that we only have 2 out and out strikers and three first-choice centre-backs in the squad, and yet we're playing a formation that requires all of them to be on the pitch at the same time. So no rotation, and the minute one gets injured/suspended, we're f**ked. Very odd.
Frankly bizarre-but at least pep would be forced to ditch the formation, as the red card made him do.

Fine but that's something we need to improve so we can't go saying we were awesome tonight because our finishing and final ball were very poor at times. We have to be better than we were tonight both defensively and in terms of killing teams off.
I thought we were excellent in the second half. On the front foot looking to win the game with a man short is all I could have asked for. There were times when it looked like Everton had been reduced to 10 men (before they actually were, obviously)
First half not so much.

Just astonishes me that anyone would think that Sane could play wing back. Then again he thought Navas could play full back.

Can't fault the effort with 10 men but our strikers are killing us in front of goal. Same story as last season, shit in front of goal and refs are a shambles.

I find it odd that we only have 2 out and out strikers and three first-choice centre-backs in the squad, and yet we're playing a formation that requires all of them to be on the pitch at the same time. So no rotation, and the minute one gets injured/suspended, we're f**ked. Very odd.
I think it's fucking bananas mate!

As you say one injury/suspension and the whole thing has to change. Plus having three centre halves takes away one creative player further up the field. When we're having 60-70% possession every week that's just a waste of a man

btw, the guy who played everton's right FB was not bad defensively. Barely moved from their half so don't know about his attacking part but he did pretty good keeping their right side.

I thought we were defensively sound. They had one shot and sadly scored from it. Edersons through balls were sublime.
The thing about playing in defence is that if you make ANY mistakes, the other team might score from it, and letting Rooney get open in the box like that was unforgivable. He must have scored 50 Premier League goals doing that exact same thing (it feels like half of them against us), and yet we still didn't get close to him when the cross came in.

Things learnt this game:

Sane is not and will never be a LWB. It's just not in his game to be disciplined positionally and no amount of training will change that, hopefully pep realises that soon. His only use in that role would be for when the team is chasing a game that they are dominating possession in but outside of that he's a big liability for the team in that role

Aguero and Jesus currently don't have an understanding together. This may get better with time and training but playing the two of them together actually hinders the teams' attacks. I had this thought even after the brighton game as there seems to be no synergy between them and both work much better with sterling than with each other which bring me to my next point.

Raheem has to start with one of aguero or jesus if pep plans on continuing with this formation with two up top. He's not as technical on the ball as both on the ball especially in his striking technique which is probably why pep hasn't started him yet but he more than makes up for that with the other stuff he brings to the team not least his movement. I genuinely believe he has the better off the ball movement of the three of them and also find his link up play to be better than aguero's. Not only does he create more chances with his play and selflessness for the team but his movement creates so much space for the others to operate. He looked the teams most dangerous attacker in pre-season so it was a bit of a surprise pep decided not to start him in the first two games of the season hopefully he gets more starts to prove his worth in the coming games.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.