John Stones - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we stick with the back 3, would you not consider swapping him and VK so Stones sees more of the ball? Seems strange to me that we currently have our ball-playing CB seeing less of the ball than the other two. We've seen VK and NO striding forward into midfield with the ball, surely Stones is a better bet for this? If Stones isnt doing this, then I am not sure what he is doing.

He's hiding, that's what he is doing.... I think we can assume pep doesn't suffer fools gladly, hence he didn't hook sane last night when showing a distinct lack of confidence/interest.. stones has the ability, however as had been alluded to previously, he needs to give his balls a shake. Moving him to the right doesn't change his mindset as kompany provides the back line with a safety net, he'll invariably try to find him rather than take responsibility...

But like Sterling, we need to give him the time and patience to develop. Sterling is now developing into one of our most enterprising and valuable players. There's no reason why Stones can't go in that direction.

Sorry, the lad had the entire of last season.

He's clearly not up to it. Still has no idea how to do basic defensive stuff.

If we go to a 4, he's the odd man out if Vinny & Otamendi are fit, and I'd have Mangala ahead of him all day too.

He's clearly not up to it. Still has no idea how to do basic defensive stuff.

If we go to a 4, he's the odd man out if Vinny & Otamendi are fit, and I'd have Mangala ahead of him all day too.
I'm not going to pretend he's doing fanatically but it's clear the media has made life tough on him. He needs us to be patient, there's a player in there somewhere

I'm not going to pretend he's doing fanatically but it's clear the media has made life tough on him. He needs us to be patient, there's a player in there somewhere

We all know that, unfortunately there just isn't a defender in there.

He's had all last year and cost us enough points with errors, and tbh I expected more this year. To see him make the mistakes last night was heartbreaking. He isn't up to it. Best case, he'll be a bench player.

I agree with your argument but that means we are left with a ball playing CB who doesn't see the ball and a defender we don't trust to defend. Sounds very much like a £50m dud that, doesn't it?
Yes, that's the hidden point I was making.

Need to really get behind him as I'm desperate for him to do well but IMO he just doesn't get it. I thought playing under Pep would bring the best out of him but so far it's bringing out the worst. Looks to have lost a yard of pace since his move from Everton.

He's had all last year

One season isn't a long period of time. It's particularly odd when you say:

I'd have Mangala ahead of him all day too.

When Mangala had two seasons of dire performances before the club decided he wasn't good enough and have looked intent on shipping him out since. Even then, he was three (maybe four?) years older than John is now when we sent him on loan to Valencia.

I'm not saying Stones doesn't need to improve, we can all see he clearly does. I just think it's odd that you'd be willing to write him off and give yet another chance to a more experienced player who has had more than his fair share.

Need to really get behind him as I'm desperate for him to do well but IMO he just doesn't get it. I thought playing under Pep would bring the best out of him but so far it's bringing out the worst. Looks to have lost a yard of pace since his move from Everton.
Think last season without VK influence he struggled , Im sure we will see a different player this year

It seems like only one poster on here sees through him. He's rubbish. I was wondering where the post match thread was hiding. It's right here. As soon as Stones was taken off, we looked a different team. Positive passes from the back, midfielders getting the ball unmarked as a result. Tackles going in. We were playing a man short before Walker got sent off. Can someone tell me, please, what Stones actually does in a game. Does he win the ball in the middle? no, does he win headers? no. does he stop counters? no. does he play positive passes from the back? no. I'll tell you what he does. He passes it back to the goalie, he holds his hands out for a pass when he's in a poor position to receive the ball. He stands around a lot in space. He lopes about looking for something to do. As one poster has noticed, what he does do is hide. He never drives the team forward from the back. Kompany, who's lost a yard of pace these days, moved into the middle and did all of those things that Stones doesn't do. He's way past his best but he's still twice the player Stones is or will ever be. And the other players have seen through him. He was hooked last night about an hour too late. He should be told he's going to be on the bench a lot. 50 million or no 50 fucking million.

Last edited:
It seems like only one poster on here sees through him. He's rubbish. I was wondering where the post match thread was hiding. It's right here. As soon as Stones was taken off, we looked a different team. Positive passes from the back, midfielders getting the ball unmarked as a result.

Of all the criticisms of Stones I've seen - some merited, some unfair - this is by quite some distance the dumbest, I was 80% of the way through when it dawned on me that it's not .

"As soon as we through on 3 attacking players and took off the defender we were a different side!"

"When we had midfielders playing as makeshift defenders, suddenly they got the ball unmarked""

By the way if you do want some facts, Stones passed back to the keeper fewer times than Kompany, Fernandinho and Otamendi while he was on the pitch, and only 4 of his 28 passes went backwards.

He was bizarrely quiet in the game, and i'm not sure why, as he usually touches the ball more than anyone, but claiming he was what held us back in attack is laughable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.