Learner drivers to take lessons on the motorway

cyberblue

I have always thought it daft that you could pass your driving test in the morning then drive on the motorway without any experience

I think it's dafter to let learners on the motorway, even if it has to be in a dual control vehicle only.

That's correct, but there's driving at 30-40, on urban local roads, and then there's getting onto the motorway via a slip road, getting upto speed and safely slotting into traffic going 60-80 mph.
I've only been driving 18months ( late starter) and I did pass plus with my driving instructor after I passed, because I wanted a few hours of quality tuition under my belt before I went alone.
I've driven London to Peak District a few times now, and apart from psycho euro Lorry drivers ( and the odd uk one) switching lanes without indicating or even looking, it's been fine, that's because I don't drive up people's arse, I leave plenty of room between myself and the car in front.
But it can be daunting for some of the younger drivers, less confident, especially down south, with the M25, the North Circular etc. to be dropped into that madness without some experience and instruction, could put some people off driving on motorways for some time

I think it's dafter to let learners on the motorway, even if it has to be in a dual control vehicle only.
They'd obviously only go on the motorway when the instructor thought they were capable of it, and to be honest, new drivers tend to obey the Highway Code much closer than some more experienced drivers who I've seen driving like absolute idiots.
Just a few hours experience with the instructor a can make a world of difference for new drivers, and if they are safer drivers, then it can only benefit everyone

Learners can do the national speed limit on a dual carriageway so makes sense to let them take lessons on a motorway with an instructor

Youngest daughter has her test in two weeks.
Eldest daughter passed around 14 years ago and I paid for 4 hours of additional Motorway tuition.
Yes Motorway driving can be safer than A roads but make one mistake and it's going to be your last.
Approach speed mirrors and attentive driving is critical.
Middle daughter did not want to play out so it was nil assistance with car until she complied.
And they all wore a green L for three months.

Far easier to drive on a motorway than on a normal road (at least it is over here).
Get on, drive in a straight line, get off.
And on our congested motorways, such as the M60/M25/M6 (delete as appropriate), your hour's lesson is less than one junction at most times. It's a cunning way for driving Instructors to get more money from their clients!

Youngest daughter and last to drive is on her way home after just passing .. .. Happy days and no more £40 a week lessons to fork out for : )
A motorway driving segmant should be mandatory and introduced as part of the test.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.