John Stones - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got to say he is actually getting worse than in his Everton days. He doesn't win many headers, he doesn't bring the ball out like the ball playing defender he was billed as and he gets overpowered by most centre forwards. Contrast that with Vinny or even Otamendi, they both defend on the front foot - attacking headers and winning plenty of them and bullying the centre forward. They also bring the ball out and play positive passes. Ok, Otamendi knocks a few wayward ones, as does Vinny but more often than not they are winning headers and playing a positive pass. I remember seeing Stones winning the ball back on the edge of the 18 yard box then Cruyff turning the centre forward and pushing into space he'd created behind the forward when playing for Everton, where has that player gone? He seems low on confidence and needs either a good game to boost it or some time out of the team. It's a shame as their is a player in there but I doubt it's as a centre back in this team. Maybe should be tried slightly further forward as a DM? He has the skill set. I do actually rate him BTW.

His defending worries me hugely. If he isn't doing what he's supposedly good at which us playing out from the back then what use does he give us?

other then being a bit closer to rooney ( sane shouldnt have done that stupid mistake) what has he done wrong defensively so far ? maybe I've just missed theses errors ?. hes kept it simple and done a decent job defensively. he gets criticized for trying to do to much and risk it, now hes being criticized for doing the opposite. maybe they are trying to get him to work on the simple stuff, more defensive side ?

Last edited:
Just seen on Mendy's instagram that Johnny drives a classic Mini. My new favourite player.

Have to say I've been totally underwhelmed with John Stones since he signed for City but am desperate for him to be a success. Hopefully playing alongside Kompany will be the answer. But he has to cut out the errors which seem to happen on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.