Game of Thrones

Really enjoyed the episode - it was great to see Cersei and Tyrion sparring again, and reminded me of the old episodes when the writing was so, so good. Alas, that Littlefinger death farce did the same thing.

His death should have been a twist/surprise but it wasn't, because it came after the writers essentially lied to the audience about what was happening. He was written into a corner when he arrived Winterfell and the writers realised there was no more ‘Game of Thrones’ for him to play, so they just killed off the most clever man in Westeros - the instigator of the whole war - like it was nothing. A good twist/surprise is when a character does something unexpected but which makes sense (i.e. is true to the character’s previous thoughts, behaviours, actions, etc.). This, sadly, was a deception of the audience.

The evidence was those scenes when the Stark sisters were alone arguing/threatening one another. I presume we’re now meant to believe that they were simply playing the game, that it was an act. But why bother? No one was watching! Either they really did mistrust one another and then came to realise what Littlefinger was doing at the last minute (but again, we’re not shown this), or it was just the writers tricking the audience because they couldn’t work out a better way of writing it.

In an earlier post I said I feared that Bran would be used as an exposition tool to shortcut to Littlefinger’s death, and that’s exactly what happened. Bran the character is probably the main reason why the writing quality has declined, because he is now a cheap and easy narrative tool: rather than taking time and effort to figure out imaginative ways for the characters to learn things (as G.R.R. Martin did), the show’s writers can now just have Bran reveal them via his mystical ways and everyone will just believe him. That’s about as cheap as it gets.

It's been a weird season; consensus seems to be that it has been very enjoyable and great to watch despite the quality of the writing having declined. I think we just have to accept that it is now a very different show to that of the previous 6 seasons and that we should just enjoy it for what it is - although I have some hope that the critical response will compel the writers to up their game for season 8.

Finally I am bang up to date with GOT and I can look at this thread.... what a great show... looking forward to reading about things I might have missed while catching up

Started season 1 about a month ago. Watched the last episode of S7 last night. Been a journey. No idea how those of you who started when it began have managed to watch one a week and wait between seasons. Fair play to you.
Same for me... just watched the final episode to date.... crammed them into a couple of months

Think GRRM promised us a bittersweet ending, sounds like some of the bigger characters will be killed

Started season 1 about a month ago. Watched the last episode of S7 last night. Been a journey. No idea how those of you who started when it began have managed to watch one a week and wait between seasons. Fair play to you.
Haha show watchers have it easy. book readers have been at it since 1996 and still waiting on two book releases

Still the best thing on TV but I agree with the little bit of criticism.
I miss the earlier days of the Starks v Lannisters mainly ... now it's too centred on action and the dragons, not a bad thing. I just preferred the older slower episodes when things were bubbling.

Just watched the last three episodes as been away for a few weeks. There were some excellent scenes in it and a culmination of a lot of storylines.

GoT at its best though was so good because of its character development and every line and scene being both brilliantly dialogued but also necessary.

The scenes between Sansa and Arya in the run up to Little fingers demise were only in there to trick the audience, which GoT has never done before. It was far too obvious too
in that Aryas stalking of Littlefinger, although a trained assassin, was the equivalent of putting on clown glasses and a moustache. The scene where he was brought to justice was great, but the means of getting there was done in a way that wouldn't have happened a few seasons ago.

Ditto the means of getting a dragon into the night kings hands to enable the bringing down of the wall, the meeting of Cersei and Tyrion and Brans conversation with Sam about Jon. All of them were great individual scenes, but all required really dumb set ups to get there (Even with the speed that Dany got north of the wall, it was highlighted just in the action of Clegane throwing the rock that I found really daft).

Couple of interesting bits though to see what they will do with next season, even if they were signposted way too easily. Arya killing Littlefinger, I assume means she can now use his face and potentially we might see her in Kings Landing. Personally, id have preferred Sansa to kill him as she passed the sentence (the Stark tradition, which would have made sense to set her up as fully ready to be the future lady of the north).

Dany killing the Tarlys, I hope wasn't just a throwaway moment and there's some knock on effect when Sam eventually finds out.

Also, Danaerys is clearly now pregnant given how many times her inability to have children was mentioned and also the random succession planning conversation Tyrion had with her.

It's still great tv and nothing can come
close to its set pieces. It is a real shame it's been dumbed down as much as it has been though.

I thought they missed a trick in the storyline between Cersei and Jamie. They could have turned it into one of those great GOT moments and shown just how crazy Cersei has gone if she'd have ordered the Mountain to kill him.

Ever since the last series you can see that Jamie thinks she's crazy and there have been plenty of scenes where she questions Jamie's loyalty to her. Especially after she watched Brianne tell Jamie to fuck loyalty.

The fact Jamie challenged her in a manner Tyrion did moments earlier would have added to the drama if there was a different outcome.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.