Alexis Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole forum is a pantomime of increasing and decreasing circles. Thats what forums and message boards are. Much better to stimulate active and interesting discussion rather than kill dull stuff. Its a player thread. The quality (As personally subjective as it is) will pick up soon enough.

Ohh no it won't!

It's hard to believe that Arsenal were so inept as to leave the Sanchez transfer until the final moments of the window without first securing one or two for-sure replacements.

IMO Arsenal were engaged in a game of chicken - hoping to get the most from us by waiting - but realizing that a sale would be necessary, or else they'd effectively be paying 50M+ for an unmotivated player for one year.

Recap of the transfer:
1) Sanchez wants to leave Arsenal and has made it clear that his only acceptable destination is Manchester City;
2) Arsenal aren't at all happy with Sanchez; in fact, Arsental went after Sanchez in the press (so he's even less likely to be motivated to play his best);
3) The players at Arsenal want Sanchez out given the drag he's having on the dressing room;
4) Sanchez is in the last year of his contract and there's zero chance that he'll sign an extension. Meanwhile City are offering a ton of cash for Sanchez. Take the money now, or get far less (or nothing at all) in 6 months/a year.
================
So, bottom line... Arsenal were more than willing to sell - can you fault our management for failing to secure a replacement for Sanchez (rhetorical question - we have no business trying to negotiate on behalf of Arsenal).
================
For me, we did everything we could to sign Sanchez - and certainly Arsenal were willing to sell.

The complete collapse at Arsenal at the end of last season (no C/L football) and continuing on to this season makes Arsenal a toxic destination for top talent. Perhaps we should have realized this and somehow made it clear to Arsenal that they're under a huge handicap to sign attractive players - and hence, they need to offer prospects far more than normal to sign them - but really, would this have worked even if we tried (presuming of course that we did not).
================
Sanchez in the Winter window then at a far reduced price?

Maybe so.

Wenger out by the Winter window? - there's a fair chance of this IMO. And perhaps this will improve our chances of signing Sanchez in the Winter window.

Last edited:
The recent behind the scenes documentary at QPR emphasised the utter incompetence of football club management away from the pitch. With perhaps one or two exceptions (the rags for example) I think it's probably the same everywhere. Arsenal are just the latest example of what we all got used to in the 1970's and beyond - as seen in that wonderful documentary of our own - City!

Weirdly I always thought Arsenal were better than that. What a pitiful shambles they have become.

TBH, I reckon the mods should shut this thread. Been literally nothing worthwhile in it since the window closed. Just the pantomime "he's coming" "no he's not" "yes he is" from people who like going round in ever decreasing circles.

I think it's fair to leave it open until the lad speaks himself or plays a game. It's interesting still.

The Sanchez chapter is closed for 12 months - we simply didn't get it over the line. Personally I think it was now or never as a few have said. We may go back in January or next summer but I'd be tempted to let Arsenal lose him for free and go toe to toe with them for Lemar - younger, better long term buy etc. I'm sure we'll see what this season brings and reconsider our options.

The Sanchez chapter is closed for 12 months - we simply didn't get it over the line. Personally I think it was now or never as a few have said. We may go back in January or next summer but I'd be tempted to let Arsenal lose him for free and go toe to toe with them for Lemar - younger, better long term buy etc. I'm sure we'll see what this season brings and reconsider our options.

Yep. I wonder myself if we will bother at all with him next year? He is no spring chicken.

All I can say about the Sanchez debacle on deadline day was that City (and in turn Sanchez*) f**ked up in trying to sign him. Still we need to be learn lessons from this** and how we try and obtain talented players from the established clubs (who have a lot of reason to give us a hard time over such transfers), most of all that there is no point acting in a honorable and gentlemanly manner if the end result is that we fail to sign the player at the end of the day. So when it comes to future transfers we need to start playing hardball both earlier and more overtly.

Still though if this was actually the case I did admire City for telling Arsenal to get lost over Sterling, simply because Sanchez or no Sanchez we still need Sterling within our squad due to the amount of games City will have to play (every season) to reach the goals the owners have set for our club and the fact that (while perfect) Sterling is a talented player who can become WC with the right sort of coaching (i.e. what Pep is doing). So it would have been bad for us and bad for Sterling if we sent him off to the Emirates, because regardless of what he did in the past, Wenger is nowhere near as good as he was when it came to developing players.

*For not being more forceful in trying to leave the Gunners in the first place, at the very least he should have pushed though a transfer request as soon as the season ended.

**Not the least putting a £75 million bid for him on January 1st. Likewise (just to punish the club and the fact we need such players in the first place), we should also bid for Lacazette (who surely must be wondering why he moved to Arsenal in the first place) and stop them getting Lemar as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.