Basic DIY help (loft flooring)

Cheers guys, few of you recommending timber batons which probably sounds a bit more steady than the plastic stills...probably go down that route.

This is all considering that the ceiling joists are able to take the added weight.

Knowing my luck I'll find this out the hard way!!

Cheers guys, few of you recommending timber batons which probably sounds a bit more steady than the plastic stills...probably go down that route.

Knowing my luck I'll find this out the hard way!!

If you are worries check the span of your ceiling joists and check their spans against the 'Trada tables' which you will be able to find online.

I squashed my insulation down and boarded over it. If it's inefficient I can tell you it's negligible as in winter the loft is freezing, yet the upstairs is warm. The most efficient thing I did was fit a proper snug loft hatch with insulation and removed any down lighters which allow heat to seep into the loft space. Before I did that I would get condensation on the roof lining, which would freeze up in winter. Doesn't do that now.

I squashed my insulation down and boarded over it. If it's inefficient I can tell you it's negligible as in winter the loft is freezing, yet the upstairs is warm. The most efficient thing I did was fit a proper snug loft hatch with insulation and removed any down lighters which allow heat to seep into the loft space.
It does lose a bit of its efficiency mate as its designed to trap air in it, does that best uncompressed also doesn't put pressure on ceiling either. All the DIY stores sell loft silts now pretty cheap fasten over joists and you just put the boards on them.And if anybodies got 100mm or less in loft I can still get it topped up for them FOC, no rags though.

It does lose a bit of its efficiency mate as its designed to trap air in it, does that best uncompressed also doesn't put pressure on ceiling either. All the DIY stores sell loft silts now pretty cheap fasten over joists and you just put the boards on them.
I must admit that I bought some decent stuff to insulate the loft which I put on top of the thin cheap stuff the builders used. Maybe the quality of the insulation helps.

It does lose a bit of its efficiency mate as its designed to trap air in it, does that best uncompressed also doesn't put pressure on ceiling either. All the DIY stores sell loft silts now pretty cheap fasten over joists and you just put the boards on them.And if anybodies got 100mm or less in loft I can still get it topped up for them FOC, no rags though.

Do the silts create pressure points on the joists though where they're placed?

No mate they are a few inches wide so unless your going to be storing a lot of weight up there and I mean a lot they're fine.

Cheers fella, nah just your average stuff - Christmas decs, suitcases, kids cot, some golf equipment in the winter etc.

Thanks again all.

I did it exactly how you initially described by squashing the insulation. My reasoning was squashed insulation has got to be better than none at all

Can't say I noticed it get warmer though

If there are any suspicious disappearances in the OP's area some of you lot giving advice could have blood on your hands :)

giphy.gif

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.