Help with Best Man Speech

BlumerMooner

Bluemooners, I need some help here...

I'm best man and the wedding will be held in Galway. He's English and she's Irish.
They are both paramedic's

I have a tough Irish audience (in the fact they are quick witted).

I don't want to let him down...There is so much on the internet I don't know where to start.

Any success stories (originality) props, pranks...

Thanks in advance

You could start by saying how nervous you are to make a speech, so much so that you went to alcoholics anonymous to make a speech as practice and it's lovely to see so many familiar faces

If you're married you could say "I hope you'll be happily married for as long as we have been, then take a look at your watch and say oh I see you already have been". Worked well at my brother's wedding although I am now divorced from my wife!

The only joke I did, what got a ripple of laughter, was on the toast wished them all the best and that the only 'ups and downs in the marriage' were in the bedroom. Depends on your audience though.

my biggest fear to be honest, i cant speak in front of a audience, i go bright red! however, im going to be a groom next year so f*ck it!
i wish you the best of luck.

* My parents always told me that if I had nothing good to say about someone, I should just be quiet *sit down*.

If you can I'd avoid using internet one liners etc. as best man I'm guessing you know him well enough to have a few funny stories of him being a prat in a way that's not going to get him in hot water with the bride.

Briefly introduce yourself and how you know the groom
Comment on how lovely the venue is and how the bride is far too good for the groom using some examples of how much of an idiot he is.
Say that he has some redeeming qualities and wish them well.

People want you to do well and are ready to have a laugh it doesn't need to be a massive lecture, a few minutes of heartfelt decent quality stuff will go down really well. Definitely the most nerve-wracking thing I've ever had to do though.

Gave my daughter away 2 years ago and started off my speech with.. 'This speech is a bit like the Bride... short and snappy' sure you could use that about the Groom... 'long and boring' etc etc! Good luck.

Just steal that Bob Monkhouse joke, something along the lines of

"when I told everyone I was going to be make jokes in my speech, they all laughed at me. But here I am and no one is laughing now, are they?"

To be fair, there is no real pressure, people aren't expecting a stand up routine and most will have had a few in them by this point anyway. Just say the standard few nice things about the couple, make a pop about the bride being out of his league, then make a toast wishing them all the best and you're done.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.