Emigrating Abroad

It was the backsides for me. I noticed a significantly higher proportion of nice rear ends on the ladies of Stockholm than anywhere I had lived in the UK.

I always thought I'd be OK work wise but I still got a job before I moved, which makes everything else a whole lot easier.

@Southern I'd get a move on if I were you. I've heard that after Brexit it will become mandatory for anyone who is not a member of the Conservative party to wear pyjamas while shopping in a supermarket.

I moved out to Australia 29 years ago and have never looked back.
Got here with no job , no money , no where to live but....
...Luckily settled in immediately with work , social life etc.
The climate was a major factor in the decision making process , I was sick of wet , cold and dark days.

Anyway , I say ' give it a go' , it not a prison sentence after all and if it's not for you then just pack up and head back to blighty.
Good luck mate.

Came to States for Uni, met my wife there, got married after graduation, stayed. Marriage got me the Green Card (work visa) and about 8 years later I became a citizen (dual UK-USA). Income is the big thing. Hard to enjoy living anywhere if you can't make ends meet!

After graduation, got pro soccer contract, played for three years, then used my Finance degree to get a city job, then flight school and now pilot. Third and last career! The biggest thing has been the chance to "reinvent" yourself in the States. Here, nobody says "you can't!" only "you haven't yet, so what are you waiting for?!" Not a very British sensibility....which is a good thing.

Seeing as I have been over most of the world, England is a beautiful, friendly place to return to, especially with family and City, but when I come over, I see th good and the bad. Good is the beautiful countryside, bad is the cities and growing number of scrotes and petty crime, and the need to have some decent money to enjoy anything like the life I have here in the US.

If I had one piece of advice, it would be to not sever all ties to the U.K., make the move, give it a good go, and see how you like it. When I left home in '82, I would never have guessed I would still be here, but now I wouldn't leave unless it was for a nice plot in NZ or Lake District with long views of nature. In short, wherever you are, having the money to live the kind of life you want is the key to being able to stay there and enjoy it. I'm very fortunate to have been able to do that and am set for life now, wherever I choose that to be.

Good luck!

So you're saying being a pro soccer player, then working in finance in the city then being a pilot hasn't given you ''decent money''??

Interesting, I wasn't sure where Hohhot is, TBH but I've just had a quick look on Wikipedia. How far from Baicheng are you? I go there every so often to visit the mother in law. I'm currently in Shijiazhuang so it's a bit of a walk from here!
P.S. the local 'Bavarian' BBQ does 3 litres for 30RMB... (brewed on site)
I am not sure what the distance is between Baicheng and Hohhot. I don't think that it's too far though. I would say that the best way to get between the two is by rail. Hohhot is the capital of Inner Mongolia and has everything you would expect in a modern city. Currently I am not too far from Linghe, if you have heard of it.
I will PM you sometime during the next 2 weeks.

I left the UK for 25 years and lived and worked in various countries, mainly to do with the desire to learn different languages and experience different cultures as a resident, rather than tourist. Some of the countries were warmer, some colder, so the climate didn't really play much of a part in my decisions.

To be honest I really enjoyed it and never thought I'd come back but ended up getting married and having kids. I had to think about their education and future prospects so we came back to the UK 3 years ago. I must say that I have enjoyed being back more than I thought I would but as soon as they're done with school, I plan to head overseas again.

What are people comparing to when they say the country is "deteriorating" because I remember the seventies and eighties, and they weren't all that.

Most of today's problems seem to be global issues, if you ask me. The only firm reasons for emigrating in my book are if you can earn significantly more money, the weather or if you genuinely love a certain place.

What are people comparing to when they say the country is "deteriorating" because I remember the seventies and eighties, and they weren't all that.

Most of today's problems seem to be global issues, if you ask me. The only firm reasons for emigrating in my book are if you can earn significantly more money, the weather or if you genuinely love a certain place.

Not really the ONLY reason's
Eg, here in Queensland you can afford a large detached home with swimming pool, without being rich.

I know a guy who just bought 15 acres for the price of a semi in Hyde

If you don't mind a 2 hour drive to Brisbane you can buy 100 acres near Toowoomba for the same price

Lots of options besides wages and sunshine.

I've lived all over the world... north of England, midlands, Belgium, London, USA, South Africa, USA, Canada, USA, Mexico, USA... and come to the conclusion that there's good and bad things about everywhere and it's a question of what kind of person is doing the emigrating. If you like adventure and making new friends and adapting to new cultures and enjoying the best of a place, then the ex pat life is really great. If you like tradition and routine and have a strong family and friend base in England, the ex pat life gets lonely and empty and you spend your time trying to recreate English traditions. It's sad to see English ex pats who never learn to make friends with locals and just hang out with each other the whole time.
Bloody he'll Austin, are you on the run?. Judging by the places you've been, I'm assuming you're some kind of Mr big for the Colombian cartel. "Stay safe and one step ahead".

Until the Government deal with the influx of the Roma and the other Eastern European criminals, tighten up security and prevent foreign national criminals gaining entry and robustly deal with the benefit culture and no longer make life easy for the lazy fuckers who sit on their fat arse with their hands out things won't improve.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.