Brahim Diaz - 2017/18 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
We say they should start against West Brom, but I think Gundogan will start and wouldn't be surprised to see Bernardo start as well. If he doesn't end up playing Toure then maybe that leaves a midfield spot open for one of Brahim or Foden but I don't expect them both to start. Maybe if we didn't get drawn against a PL side but that was bound to happen.
I reckon Brahim will start in a forward role

Top clubs shouldn't be hoarding talent to the extent they do anyway. Alli came through at MK Dons or Stones at Barnsley and they got a good education, game time at a young age and then got big moves from there when they were ready to play. All top clubs need to stockpile all this young talent to compete with each other though.

Real Madrid's approach does work at times. They get a player like Asnesio or Carvahal in at a young age, loan him for a couple of seasons in La Liga or another big league and then when he's got the experience and is physically developed he's ready for their first team squad and they keep a place in the squad for him so he gets the games. Real will prioritise Spanish players though (hence wanting Diaz) so someone like Odegaard will have to be amazing on loan. Chelsea have tried this approach but when the players come back off loan they don't get the game time, get frustrated and want to leave. The best approach is loans but it's keeping players content on long contracts while they get the experience elsewhere. The likes of Sancho and Diaz etc are less likely to show the patience if they don't see a path to the first team and a place in the squad available to them. The only places in our squad are left back, maybe CM and striker if the likes of Yaya and Delph go.

It's very rare a player will make it through at a top club from the youth team and it'll usually be because an opportunity comes up. Rashford got one at United because no other strikers were fit and he came in, scored and took his chance. Harry Kane got his chance because of how much of a flop Soldado was.

But you look at LIverpool giving Alexander Arnold games, an excellent prospect, but he was ripped to shreds by City last week because he's a kid and inexperienced. It's difficult to just throw them in without that happening. It's also rare that a young player will be that good that he'll improve the team when you have a star studded squad. Fans would moan if we had a youngster in who struggled like that in a game, or moan if we sold, say, Sterling or Sane to open up a squad place for Sancho or Diaz to play. Look at that meltdown when it was suggested Sterling would make way for Sanchez.

Excellent post
We have a much stronger chance of retaining talent that grows all the way through the Academy levels and those obviously that have a special affection for the club. The others are a massive gamble..

Easier said than done. The 18 in the squad yesterday were all taken from the 20 senior players in our 24 -man first team. The other two are the injured Kompany and the out-of-favour Touré. Both probably get into our best 18 instead of Mangala and Delph. Dropping senior players for youth is hard and rarely goes down well. Pep needs to keep people happy.

I do hope he plays a role this season for the senior team. Thinking with my heart maybe but still It would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.