Emigrating Abroad

I just wish the anti-immigration and Brexiters would read this thread. The amount of positivity and benefits from travelling and working abroad are right here to see.

Why would that change?

The positives of working abroad won't change but it will just become a lot more difficult for Europeans to work here and for us to work there. There will be a lot less doing it. That's obvious isn't it?

The positives of working abroad won't change but it will just become a lot more difficult for Europeans to work here and for us to work there. There will be a lot less doing it. That's obvious isn't it?
A lot of people voted to leave because of the EU. Nothing to do with immigration.

It's also a lot harder for us anyway due to our lack of enforced 2nd language learning. When I lived in Sweden learning the language was a requirement. Or at least trying to!

Will coming out of the EU mean it will be harder to work abroad?

I doubt it. They wouldn't be that stupid.

Do you think that has roots in your nationalism?

Most people are nationalistic aren't they? If they aren't then they aren't wired right ;)

I love my culture my country and the way that I fit into it so do other people, even immigrants that come here (And British immigrants that go abroad) people carry their culture everywhere with them and form little pockets of concentrated home countries wanting to eat home food listen to home music and follow home customs. To me nationalism isn't a bad thing it's a good thing.

It was easy to work abroad pre the EU I know loads of people that did. It's a myth that it'll be harder and has no base in facts. This whole idea of borderless countries nonsense will be over withing a decade or two and we can all get back to living our lives without our heads up our arses.

I'm now considering the Middle East more. I have a vocational qualification and finding a job should be relatively easy.

Can anyone who has lived out there share their experiences? I know it gets unbearably hot outdoors in summer but I would particularly like to know any important cultural, climatic and legal differences between Kuwait, UAE and Abu Dhabi. Basically, I want to be somewhere as relaxed as possible towards non-Muslims, and minimise my chances of getting f***** over by police and stuck in prison (if that makes sense)...

And, does it help if you wear a City shirt in Abu Dhabi ;-) ?
Consider Oman as well. Apparently the most liberal of all of them.

It was easy to work abroad pre the EU I know loads of people that did.
Well yeah, when there was paperwork involved in bringing in any foreigner, then it was the same for everyone. What the UK has done in being the only country to leave is put its own citizens at a disadvantage. I'm an English teacher, so I know first hand that it's extremely difficult for an American to get hired in Europe to teach English, despite there being a big demand for native-speaker teachers. The reason for this is that British and Irish teachers can be hired without visas. Why would any school go through the hassle of hiring an American teacher, when there are enough British and Irish teachers to fill the available jobs? The reality is that they don't. And unless there's some sort of deal, the same thing will happen to British workers looking to work in Europe in all sectors. If there's any extra paperwork or cost involved at all, companies will only bring in British workers if there's literally no EU citizen capable of doing the job, and even then, we'll end up having to compete with immigrant workers from the rest of the world too.

I've worked in two non-EU countries where a work permit is required and I can tell you that absolutely every time it's a massive pain in the arse to deal with. Often you can't do simple things like get a bank card or an internet subscription until you've been granted a work permit. Companies have entire teams dedicated to the legalities of getting a foreigner into the country and working. That costs them money, and that's why the same companies operating in the EU don't even consider applications from outside the EU because it's not worth their time. And after Brexit, a company in Paris won't consider British applications when they've got German, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, etc people applying because why would you?

Well yeah, when there was paperwork involved in bringing in any foreigner, then it was the same for everyone. What the UK has done in being the only country to leave is put its own citizens at a disadvantage. I'm an English teacher, so I know first hand that it's extremely difficult for an American to get hired in Europe to teach English, despite there being a big demand for native-speaker teachers. The reason for this is that British and Irish teachers can be hired without visas. Why would any school go through the hassle of hiring an American teacher, when there are enough British and Irish teachers to fill the available jobs? The reality is that they don't. And unless there's some sort of deal, the same thing will happen to British workers looking to work in Europe in all sectors. If there's any extra paperwork or cost involved at all, companies will only bring in British workers if there's literally no EU citizen capable of doing the job, and even then, we'll end up having to compete with immigrant workers from the rest of the world too.

I've worked in two non-EU countries where a work permit is required and I can tell you that absolutely every time it's a massive pain in the arse to deal with. Often you can't do simple things like get a bank card or an internet subscription until you've been granted a work permit. Companies have entire teams dedicated to the legalities of getting a foreigner into the country and working. That costs them money, and that's why the same companies operating in the EU don't even consider applications from outside the EU because it's not worth their time. And after Brexit, a company in Paris won't consider British applications when they've got German, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, etc people applying because why would you?

I have worked in 7 different European countries and my wife has worked in both Australia and the USA for extended periods, it quite simply isn't difficult for the huge majority of people to live and work in another country, or should I say no more difficult. The EU is a new concept, the world turned before it and anyone considering Brexit to be a downside should seriously consider thinking about things in a brand new way. I care more for British workers in this country suffering and even though I may have some sympathy for people wanting to work abroad it's just a fleeting concern and easily passes, much like wind.

" I care more for British workers working here" yet risking their livelihood is a price worth paying? Not one single argument by the brexits has even hinted how leaving could create more employment. Food banks and repossession firms maybe, debt counselling for sure, but secure jobs at above poverty-level wages has never been an ambition for the "out-at-all-costs " brexit cheer-leaders. It is beyond credibility that the UK could out-compete the EU in anything but as a tax haven and sweat-shop victorian working conditions. Better out than in, but only for a few, and more and more of the much-lied to public are starting to realize how much they have been manipulated.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.