West Brom (a) League Cup pre-match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we should rotate too heavily for this. Away at West Brom is a considerably tougher game than rock-bottom Crystal Palace at home on Saturday. There's no point in making life too difficult for ourselves in a knock-out tie. If Yaya is available for selection i'd go with this:

-------------------Bravo----------------------
Danilo --- Stones --- Mangala --- Mendy
-------------------Toure----------------------
----------B. Silva---------De Bruyne-------
Sterling----------Jesus----------------Sane

(Subs: Ederson, Walker, Kompany, Delph, Gundogan, Diaz, Aguero)

If Toure isn't ready yet, maybe give Gundogan a start and have Fernandinho on the bench. Get Diaz on for Sterling at some point. Then on Saturday, revert back to a team similar to the one that started against Watford, but make sure Foden is on the bench to make his debut if we get to a point where we're comfortably ahead.

Hope we go for it tomorrow. Winning is a habit want to see us competing in every trophy we can for as long as we can. Obviously there will be changes but I hate losing to pullis especially. Last season when we threw on in against Utd we started to wobble. Another win and our momentum builds further.

Don't know if anyone has brought this up but Tony Pulis is not a fan of the league cup.

16/17 - Lose in the 2nd round to Northampton Town on penalties.

15/16 - 2nd round Draw to Port Vale, go through on penalties, lose to Norwich in the 3rd round.

13/14 At Crystal Palace - lose to Bristol City in the 2nd round.

12/13 At Stoke - lose to Swindon Town in the 2nd round.

In fact you have to go back to September 2010 to find the last time Pulis won a League cup game in 90 minutes.

We're playing a team whose manager seems to actively want to get knocked out as soon as possible.

I would expect wholesale changes for this one.
Pep will have been planning this for weeks.
Does anybody know if they have been playing 11 v 11 in training at all with "set" 1st and 2nd teams?
I do miss the good old days of training reporting on bluemoon....

I would expect wholesale changes for this one.
Pep will have been planning this for weeks.
Does anybody know if they have been playing 11 v 11 in training at all with "set" 1st and 2nd teams?
I do miss the good old days of training reporting on bluemoon....
Those days in the 90s when anybody could walk into the Platt Lane complex and watch the first team training.

To throw kids & players short of match practice all together at the same time is counter productive imo & carries a strong chance of getting beat.

A strong team with a couple of changes, one or two kids in it & changes from the bench is the sensible way to go imo.

Then the kids & players who need it, get a run out in a proper team situation, where it does them good, playing proper first team football & we have a better chance of staying in the competition, rather than risk it turning into a fiasco, which ends up no better than a training game, & getting knocked out.

The ideal position for rotation would have been fullback, but we don't really have a viable young player available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.