Gundogan injury v West Brom | Confirmed not serious by Ilkay

Status
Not open for further replies.
The West Brom fans react just like Stoke fans when one of their thug players has just injured an opponent. Am I wrong in thinking that before Pulis they didn't used to boo and jeer injured players?

The sort of refereeing we saw last night will do nothing to improve the skill levels in the English game; it rewards 'traditional' rough-house tactics to counter a more skillful opponent. Pulis' side got away with as much as they could, after all it's a competition and they will do whatever the officials allow. I don't blame them, although neither do I condone it. It's very much for the FA to determine and manage what we want to see at the top level of our game; do we want technically gifted players with silky skills, or physical, questionably legitimate challenges and the long-ball game? We don't want to see diving and cheating and the type of histrionics seen in a great deal of European football, but the FA need to have a good hard look at games like last night's and realise that allowing the level of officialdom seen at the Hawthorns will undermine the PL and damage the game.
This post shows exactly why English clubs will struggle to be a major force in Europe. Refereeing standards are a major part of this. We can all see how poor tackles are picked up by European refs (even from the smaller footballing countries, Serbia, Hungary etc etc) so their teams tend not to do it, hence ball playing skills are allowed to develop, the down side is rolling around like twats at every opportunity.
In the Prem, the refereeing standard is generally poor, which alludes to the officials being 'bent', blatantly incompetent (or both in some cases). A lot of piss poor tackles go unpunished or the penalty fails to match the offence - hence last night's incident. Skillful players will be singled out and battered by the hairy arsed centre backs or midfield 'enforcers' who are sent out to do a job on any potential game changer/match winner - ergo if it happens in their development stages, the more skillful players don't come through.
Fast forward to now. Should referees use a bit of common sense, I'm talking protection now, and come down on some of the thuggish tackling that happens every match (and nothing is given) quality players will prosper leading to far better quality of matches. PEP IS TRYING TO DO THIS IMHO, long may it continue.

The West Brom fans react just like Stoke fans when one of their thug players has just injured an opponent. Am I wrong in thinking that before Pulis they didn't used to boo and jeer injured players?

Think you may be right, never had a problem with them previously that i remember, had some good days out there. Seems another lot jumping on the bandwagon with the anti City hysteria, maybe we should apologise for being better.

This post shows exactly why English clubs will struggle to be a major force in Europe. Refereeing standards are a major part of this. We can all see how poor tackles are picked up by European refs (even from the smaller footballing countries, Serbia, Hungary etc etc) so their teams tend not to do it, hence ball playing skills are allowed to develop, the down side is rolling around like twats at every opportunity.
In the Prem, the refereeing standard is generally poor, which alludes to the officials being 'bent', blatantly incompetent (or both in some cases). A lot of piss poor tackles go unpunished or the penalty fails to match the offence - hence last night's incident. Skillful players will be singled out and battered by the hairy arsed centre backs or midfield 'enforcers' who are sent out to do a job on any potential game changer/match winner - ergo if it happens in their development stages, the more skillful players don't come through.
Fast forward to now. Should referees use a bit of common sense, I'm talking protection now, and come down on some of the thuggish tackling that happens every match (and nothing is given) quality players will prosper leading to far better quality of matches. PEP IS TRYING TO DO THIS IMHO, long may it continue.
Yeah but Pep is now almost half way through his contract and this brutality is nothing new and doesn't seem to be any less. Last year Merlin was systematically booted up and down the pitch with little protection culminating in the assault on him by Arsenal in the semi. How long before someone catches Kev, Dave or Bernardo? The club needs to use all its influence and make representations to the FA and Mike Dean. Christ knows we have ammunition to make our case. In Ilky's case, the scissor challenge he was hit with last night was a blatant red card. If that challenge wasn't reckless and endangering him, I give in. Still fuming. Hope the lad recovers well and quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.