Emigrating Abroad

I emigrated to Nova Scotia, Canada 3years ago. Probably somewhere very few people know much about and maybe a destination that gets little consideration. We have 4 seasons of weather, much better defined than at home and summer is great (still in the 20's in Sept.) Endless miles of coastline, lots of lakes, trees, sand, water. 1 big city (Halifax) which is the main port and quite a busy bustling city. Traffic & parking tricky in the city, but once outside you can travel anywhere easily, rarely get caught in traffic.
Halifax has universities, endless food, nightlife etc etc. It's also an affordable place to live and not subject to ridiculous rises/drops in house prices. 6 hours back to London from Halifax Stanfield airport. Oh, and my dentist is a blue.
I have cable & IPTV - never miss a game except maybe early EFL/FA Cup rounds.
Emigration here much easier than to the States, and we are next door, can travel into New England by car in a few hours.
I think Canada came out the no1 emigration country (again) in a recent survey - there really are far worse places to live. I should know coming from Ashton originally......sigh
Under -Lyne or in Makerfield?

I emigrated to Nova Scotia, Canada 3years ago. Probably somewhere very few people know much about and maybe a destination that gets little consideration. We have 4 seasons of weather, much better defined than at home and summer is great (still in the 20's in Sept.) Endless miles of coastline, lots of lakes, trees, sand, water. 1 big city (Halifax) which is the main port and quite a busy bustling city. Traffic & parking tricky in the city, but once outside you can travel anywhere easily, rarely get caught in traffic.
Halifax has universities, endless food, nightlife etc etc. It's also an affordable place to live and not subject to ridiculous rises/drops in house prices. 6 hours back to London from Halifax Stanfield airport. Oh, and my dentist is a blue.
I have cable & IPTV - never miss a game except maybe early EFL/FA Cup rounds.
Emigration here much easier than to the States, and we are next door, can travel into New England by car in a few hours.
I think Canada came out the no1 emigration country (again) in a recent survey - there really are far worse places to live. I should know coming from Ashton originally......sigh

My wife's family are all from New Glasgow. Her mum has a piece of land in malmerby beach, little harbour.

Retired and now live in Southern Spain about 20 mins from the Med..

Dry and warm so the wifes disabling arthritis no longer troubles her. Medical care generally better than UK and in my case life saving rather than being told my particular problem was normal and I should not worry.
Cost of living very much better more than compensating for sterling demise.
Very little crime where we live with absolutely no loutish drunken behaviour witnessed (if I discount the wifes friday night red wine excesses).
Agricultural area where we live so quite a lot of unemployment however our sub contracted fence building and earth moving tasks at very low rates as long as we use Spanish labour. Unfortunately English tradespeople charge English prices to their English clients.

All in all one of the best things I have ever done, travelled extensively when working but never saw this part of the world but everything is so tranquil and laid back and I now understand that mañana means not today rather than tomorrow but everyone smiles and rarely get uptight.
The lack of the 'chav' mentality means as much to me as anything, I just can't fathom any society that allows it to happen the way Britain does

The lack of the 'chav' mentality means as much to me as anything, I just can't fathom any society that allows it to happen the way Britain does

That summarises how I feel about the UK. Very low standards as accepted as the norm by the majority. Say what you want about the middle-class and rich, (in majority of cases), the way they live their lives in terms of manners/bringing up children, educational and career aspirations, fitness levels and diet is more what we should look at rather than choosing to copy TOWIE and Eastenders/Coronation St.

If the NHS continues the way it is I'll be planning on moving abroad also. I could do the same job, for more money, less stress, better quality of life & better work life balance. Guess its about being brave & taking the plunge.

Canada was my initial thought but the girlfriend wouldn't be able to work there in her current occupation without an additional degree, which gives me NZ and Oz, heard so many positives about NZ that it seems like the place to go.

That summarises how I feel about the UK. Very low standards as accepted as the norm by the majority. Say what you want about the middle-class and rich, (in majority of cases), the way they live their lives in terms of manners/bringing up children, educational and career aspirations, fitness levels and diet is more what we should look at rather than choosing to copy TOWIE and Eastenders/Coronation St.

Yeah the Bullingdon Club sets the tone of how the rich should behave doesn’t it?
And Rooney, as rich as a rich thing is a great role model.

If the NHS continues the way it is I'll be planning on moving abroad also. I could do the same job, for more money, less stress, better quality of life & better work life balance. Guess its about being brave & taking the plunge.

Canada was my initial thought but the girlfriend wouldn't be able to work there in her current occupation without an additional degree, which gives me NZ and Oz, heard so many positives about NZ that it seems like the place to go.
Don't know about the healthcare industry, but in my experience the quality of life in Oz was streets ahead of NZ, much better pay for working fewer hours and more laid-back (construction/trades). Cost of living not much different.

Probably if you have a decent profession/salary in NZ it's a different proposition though, so much natural beauty to enjoy.

Where we live its a fiesta in one village or other almost every week and some in the larger towns last for 6 days.
Plenty of drink and carnival atmospheres but a genuine family day or days out.

Not sure why but there is complete respect for the police here including young people. Must admit there are regular spot checks on roundabout by the police but the fact that they issue the NIE's that are the start of the identification process here in Spain perhaps makes them more aware of who lives here and probably what the population do.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.