Uber London loses licence to operate

failing to report serious criminal offences and instances of bogus medical certificates.
if they followed rules and regs they wouldn't be having a problem.
I'm sure if you scratched the surface you would find that numerous Black Cab drivers breaking the same rules and regs, plus committing serious sexual assaults.

Just do a quick Google search.

I used to use an app called Hailo in Manchester and London when I needed a Taxi. It was like Uber but run by real taxi drivers. Is it still on the go?
It's called My Taxi now. Used it in Dublin and it worked well. Actually I was in Maynooth, so even better. It had the added bonus of allowing me to pre-book and I got a licenced driver from a local taxi company. Nice bloke. €45.80 for a 20 mile journey seems pretty decent to me. I paid £35 for an 11 mile Uber journey in London, admittedly at 3:30am so it seems fairly comparable. Pissed me off though (Uber) because one of them accepted the ride and then cancelled when it turned out a 1.6x surge was on. It's bullshit that you're not allowed to down vote drivers for doing that.

Last edited:
I'm sure if you scratched the surface you would find that numerous Black Cab drivers breaking the same rules and regs, plus committing serious sexual assaults.

Just do a quick Google search.

The point is that Uber have hindered criminal investigations. Regulators will tend to
Issue sanctions or revoke licences in such cases.

But like the Catholic church, it's not that it's happening, it's how the organisation reacts when it happens. If you suspend drivers, work well with the authorities in trying to deal with alleged offences, and have proper procedures in place to minimize the risk of it happening, then you can't blame the company for the actions of an employee. Going back to the restaurant argument, you don't need anyone to get food poisoning to get closed down for having an unsafe kitchen, and someone getting food poisoning isn't evidence that you didn't do everything you could to prevent it.

But like the Catholic church, it's not that it's happening, it's how the organisation reacts when it happens. If you suspend drivers, work well with the authorities in trying to deal with alleged offences, and have proper procedures in place to minimize the risk of it happening, then you can't blame the company for the actions of an employee. Going back to the restaurant argument, you don't need anyone to get food poisoning to get closed down for having an unsafe kitchen, and someone getting food poisoning isn't evidence that you didn't do everything you could to prevent it.
The problem being that the Council picked on the new guy, because the Black Cab drivers cried foul. To use the restaurant analogy, it's akin to a new place opening up in the high street and undercutting the local gastro place, then the gastro place complaining the new place is not playing fair whilst the gastro place has rats in its own kitchen.

The problem being that the Council picked on the new guy, because the Black Cab drivers cried foul. To use the restaurant analogy, it's akin to a new place opening up in the high street and undercutting the local gastro place, then the gastro place complaining the new place is not playing fair whilst the gastro place has rats in its own kitchen.
Why is Uber the only app that attracts this criticism then? There are plenty of apps, and yet everywhere it goes in the world, Uber attracts a level of criticism that no other app does.

Illegally in which respect?

It's hard to know without having the eivisence that is in front of the regulators. There was a reference to scanning the authorities' radios to avoid being tracked down.

I find the debate a bit bizarre. Would there be a campaign for contaminated tap water if the service provider offered a cheaper deal?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.