Shakhtar Donetsk (h) pre-match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Srna being out for them is a bonus, even though he's probably older than me.

Said it in a different thread before but really think it's a good idea if we play a second string side and try and sneak a win. Chelsea at the weekend is more important at this stage and they'll be playing Wednesday and then us Saturday, their first team will be knackered playing Atletico away.

Our second string is a hell of a team these days so beating shaktar with them would be very realistic. It's a gamble which could pay off big time. I'd go for....

Ederson
Danilo
Kompany
Otamendi
Mangala
Delph
Yaya
Bernardo
KDB
Sterling
Jesus

Bench: Kun, Silva, Dinho, Stones, Bravo

They’ve a few Brazilian’s in their team saying that think that’s been the case for a while now,Fernandinho and didn’t Elano play for them?
They are a well known “gateway” club for Brazilian; have been for awhile now. Though, that may be waning a bit given the recent geopolitical turmoil.

Notable Brazilians who have played for them:

Elano
Douglas Costa
Fernandinho
Luiz Adriano
Bernard
Alex Teixeira
Willian
Fred
Wellington Nem

Said it in a different thread before but really think it's a good idea if we play a second string side and try and sneak a win. Chelsea at the weekend is more important at this stage and they'll be playing Wednesday and then us Saturday, their first team will be knackered playing Atletico away.

Our second string is a hell of a team these days so beating shaktar with them would be very realistic. It's a gamble which could pay off big time. I'd go for....

Ederson
Danilo
Kompany
Otamendi
Mangala
Delph
Yaya
Bernardo
KDB
Sterling
Jesus

We need to win this game, can’t afford to drop points. It’s not the hardest of groups, but any slip ups at home could leave us in the shit. Going away to these and Napoli will be tough.

We need to win this game, can’t afford to drop points. It’s not the hardest of groups, but any slip ups at home could leave us in the shit. Going away to these and Napoli will be tough.
They will be no doubt. Like I said it's a gamble but at this stage of the campaign I'd be tempted to do it. Even if we rest a few we still have a side capable of beating most good teams at home.

Ederson
Danilo
Kompany
Otamendi
Mangala
Delph
Yaya
Bernardo
KDB
Sterling
Jesus

Playing a key CL group match w/ some second stringers and winning is announcing that City have taken the next step.

Pep will play his strongest team on Tuesday and then again on the weekend. He has been preparing them for this twofer for the past few weeks, which is why players have been getting rotated and rested for 30 mins.

I just want to confirm...Stones removal against Palace was tactical, right? Was a strange substitution given Silva and KDB have been busting balls for the whole season and could have done with a rest. Surely, Stones doesn't need a rest?! Just hope he doesn't have a niggle, or that if he did, it's sorted.

Anyway, I suspect Shaktar to play the way most teams play in Europe when they are away. They will be solid defensively and try to break with speed when we are exposed.

We absolutely CANNOT afford to lose at home, and especially not to Shaktar. If we do, we will have lost to the team topping the group, having beaten Napoli and then us away. That is a very, very strong position in this group, especially with two games against Feyenooed, who appear to be the group punching bag. That's 12 points for them virtually in the bag! And, given Napoli will probably spank Feyenoord, we will be on level terms with them, but having lost at home. We absolutely do NOT want this group to come down to one of us or Napoli!!

Again....We CANNOT lose at home to Shaktar!!!

Win our games at home and we are through! Feyenoord will get a point from somewhere, so 12 pts will do it. Winning this game puts us in prime position on 6 points, with (probably) Shaktar on 3 and Napoli on 3, with Shaktar ahead of them on head to head. Shaktar will play an 11 man defence, if necessary, away at Napoli to get a point and then that gives them the head to head victory against them. We have to do our damnedest not to get into a three way competition with those two and take care of our own business. With the next two games at home, with our Feyenoord (H) chaser down the road, we should have qualified before we ever play them, with that game being for the Top Spot in the group.

It is in our hands, and this is what Pep was brought here for. He will absolutely play his best team to win, because this game is, IMHO, FAR more important that Chelsea on the weekend!! Yes...FAR MORE IMPORTANT!!

To all those saying let's play our second string or put Yaya in, errmmmm... we did not win the group or qualify yet in this group! Strongest team until we qualify TOP of the group then we can consider resting players. Till then, no one rest

I am expecting a 4132 formation with Delph coming in for Mendy

My team would be

Ederson
Walker Stones Otamendi Delph
Fernandinho
Bernardo KDB Silva
Jesus Ageuro

Pep will play his strongest team on Tuesday and then again on the weekend. He has been preparing them for this twofer for the past few weeks, which is why players have been getting rotated and rested for 30 mins.

I just want to confirm...Stones removal against Palace was tactical, right? Was a strange substitution given Silva and KDB have been busting balls for the whole season and could have done with a rest. Surely, Stones doesn't need a rest?! Just hope he doesn't have a niggle, or that if he did, it's sorted.

Anyway, I suspect Shaktar to play the way most teams play in Europe when they are away. They will be solid defensively and try to break with speed when we are exposed.

We absolutely CANNOT afford to lose at home, and especially not to Shaktar. If we do, we will have lost to the team topping the group, having beaten Napoli and then us away. That is a very, very strong position in this group, especially with two games against Feyenooed, who appear to be the group punching bag. That's 12 points for them virtually in the bag! And, given Napoli will probably spank Feyenoord, we will be on level terms with them, but having lost at home. We absolutely do NOT want this group to come down to one of us or Napoli!!

Again....We CANNOT lose at home to Shaktar!!!

Win our games at home and we are through! Feyenoord will get a point from somewhere, so 12 pts will do it. Winning this game puts us in prime position on 6 points, with (probably) Shaktar on 3 and Napoli on 3, with Shaktar ahead of them on head to head. Shaktar will play an 11 man defence, if necessary, away at Napoli to get a point and then that gives them the head to head victory against them. We have to do our damnedest not to get into a three way competition with those two and take care of our own business. With the next two games at home, with our Feyenoord (H) chaser down the road, we should have qualified before we ever play them, with that game being for the Top Spot in the group.

It is in our hands, and this is what Pep was brought here for. He will absolutely play his best team to win, because this game is, IMHO, FAR more important that Chelsea on the weekend!! Yes...FAR MORE IMPORTANT!!

it was to give Delph time at left back.

we'll play our strongest team for both games, won't necessarily be the same 11 though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.