Who is the best City goalkeeper in history?

Id go for big Joe Corrigan, seen him get a great ovation from the Kop when it was like him v Liverpool ( them bastards wouldn't clap a city goalie now if he save a rocket launched from the 6 yard line) and at the cup final in 81 he looked unbeatable until the Tommy Hutch deflection

Trautmann? Swift? Corrigan? Hart?

But more importantly, if Ederson continues the same way as he started his career here, how many games until it will definitely beccome him? :)

Kneejerk as hell but watching him play and he's just absolutely world class.
Trautmann and Swift world legends. Corrigan overcame setbacks and put in some awesome performances until Malcolm started publicly blaming him for every goal we conceded. And in Hart's five-year or so Prem career overlap with De Gea, he had the better clean sheet record of the two - five years out of five (I think the overlap was five years) and Golden Gloves four years out of five. Messi and Buffon rate Hart. Until a few weeks ago, Hart hadn't conceded a competitive England goal for twelve months - the best current World Cup qualifying record of any GK in Europe (they all play minnows). But all he gets is dogs abuse. His career is at something of a crossroads and at 30 his best years are still in front of him. He has a considerably better international clean sheet record than so-called world's best Neuer behind a vastly inferior defence. Neuer has played his entire international career behind one of the greatest defences that ever lived. So many world class performances by Hart against the Barcas of this world etc, his one-man show against Lewandowski, penalty save from ZI and his one-on-one worldy in the FA Cup semi (Berbatov). He's part of that legendary group forever in our hearts - David, Sergio, Vinnie, Zaba and Yaya. Tevez could have been in that group but didn't stick around.

Ederson has not yet put a foot wrong - distribution monstrously good. Not only that, he seems to be able to chip the ball three quarters of the way up the pitch with no run-up.

As for De Gea - churlish to say he's not world class (despite his three howlers at the Euros). However, every time I see him play I see him parry shots straight at him at chest height. This is usually followed by a back flip where he throws his legs in the air. Commentators then start frothing at the mouth and disappearing to the bathroom with a tissue.........

Last edited:
As I said earlier can't comment on the swift trautmann debate, but I did see Corrigan grow up, and he was poor in the early days. Give him his due when Mcrea was brought in, he stuck to his guns, worked hard, and when he go his chance grabbed it with both hands and went on to get a few England caps.

But let's take the blue tinted glasses off, was he as good as Jennings or Shilton (imo he was better then Clements).

The defining point in his career was the Ricky villa moment, save that, then he is a god.

Hart for all his faults had more than one of those defing moments against Dortmund and Messi and co and won 2 premier leagues.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy Hart has moved on, and Ederson is showing signs of becoming world class, but to airbrush Hart's contribution out by saying Corrigan was better is disengenuous at best.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy Hart has moved on, and Ederson is showing signs of becoming world class, but to airbrush Hart's contribution out by saying Corrigan was better is disengenuous at best.

Nobody is airbrushing Hart's contributions out of our history. We're merely giving our opinions on who was the best City keeper that we've seen and for me it was Corrigan.

Nobody is airbrushing Hart's contributions out of our history. We're merely giving our opinions on who was the best City keeper that we've seen and for me it was Corrigan.
We must have been at different matches then, Dortmund at home in the first CL season, and at the Nou camp when he kept the score respectable, at which point he was genuinely world class, against world class opposition.

To be fair I wasn't at some of the Eufa cup games in the late seventies but if you were there and can hand on heart say he was better then that then fair dos.

As I said earlier can't comment on the swift trautmann debate, but I did see Corrigan grow up, and he was poor in the early days. Give him his due when Mcrea was brought in, he stuck to his guns, worked hard, and when he go his chance grabbed it with both hands and went on to get a few England caps.

But let's take the blue tinted glasses off, was he as good as Jennings or Shilton (imo he was better then Clements).

The defining point in his career was the Ricky villa moment, save that, then he is a god.

Hart for all his faults had more than one of those defing moments against Dortmund and Messi and co and won 2 premier leagues.

He certainly was better than Clements. I'm sure Kenny would agree. Better than Jennings or Shilton? That's a bloody good question. Shilton was Clough's 1st and most important signing. Clough said that everything was built upon that foundation. Easy to forget that Shilton was WORLD record fee for a keeper at the time, but he paid it back in spades. And trophies. Jennings at Maine Rd, league cup 5th round, we utterly battered Arsenal but couldn't find a way past him. Lost the replay at Highbury. Let's also not forget, Joe Hart is the owner of two league title medals. Very, very, very few keepers can say the same. Very few.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.