Could you join the armed forces?

I am way too old and knackered now.

Back in the 70s I saw an advert to join Naval Intelligence, and sometimes I regret not putting in an application, as I would have loved that sort of job. I had the specified qualifications, but whether they would actually have taken me, God knows.

23 years I did. Not sure if I would have shot anyone as I was on the technical side. F...ing hard work. Try 4 months of 15 hour days every day. Spent 2 weeks with 8 hours sleep on two occasions. Think I deserve my pension. Got all my qualifications whilst in the Army and you get well looked after, free medical, dentist etc. Not easy if you are married, wife has to be very understanding and many nowadays aren’t. Joined in 67 and kept fit throughout. Tried to keep it up now but failing miserably. My advice is go for it best thing I ever did but nowadays you get shot at a lot. :(

This is a great video on the topic, full of interesting facts.

But most interestingly, the Americans have got the figure up to about 95% now.

Seems to be the same for their cops too.

Enjoyed that. I am the eldest sibling from a single parent family and I never thought about what he said before, but it's true. I used to fight older kids to protect my pain in the arse siblings and have always felt responsiblefor them. Like I do with my own sons.

For the record, in all but two of those fights, and there were many, I got my arse kicked.

And definitely dont think I would win a VC though. That's another dimension altogether.

Joined the Royal Navy in 72 and left 25 years later with the last 13 years of service on the Nuclear Deterrent subs. 20 years on and I'm still involved in that programme. Would thoroughly recommend the service life based on my experiences, but it isn't for everyone.

LOL. Do you mean this one?

169gdg6.jpg
Obviously this was taken before he went to play shirtless beach volleyball with his mates while"Playing with the Boys" plays in the background. :)

Joined the Royal Navy in 71 and left in 81. Served in the reserves for a further 6 years.
Left because I got married and wanted to be home when we started a family.
Had a fantastic time during my service and still keep in touch with lads that served with me.

It's not for everyone however, I saw lots of people leave due to home sickness or could not adjust to military life.
I did two tours of the Windies/America, many Med countries and Northern Europe/Scandinavia and got paid for it. On the other hand left just before the Falklands where one of my old ship HMS Sheffield got sunk and a few sailors I knew fairly well died.

After I finished university my dad was very keen on me joining the forces as quite a number of my family have 'served' (that term alone put me off). He thought that the Navy would give me a great opportunity to see the world and would drop subtle hints such as giving me Officer's Pocket Book for Christmas. He had grown up wanting to be a tank driver and I think he slightly regrets not joining the forces.

The problem is that I have always hated being told what to do. I've no doubt it's a great career for many people in terms of money (as you don't spend a lot of what you earn whilst you serve - my cousin basically toured Europe playing basketball for the army, all expenses paid) and in terms of experience, but there's no way I would have coped with the all the discipline and submission.

Also, I love my comforts. Hate things like camping. I wouldn't have lasted a day in training.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.