Ivory Ban announced by Gove.

They make a lot of money. They won't change. They need to die. If you kill enough of them the risks for that money is too high. Until that happens they continue. We need elephants on this planet more than we need poachers. I would confiscate dealers resources to put into these communities to help employ people to look out for them. But, if they refuse its a bullet in the head.

That's your logical conclusion?
I believe that taking down the trade and fining/jailing dealers, so that they have no incentives left to trade in those commodities, might prove equally efficient; provided it's an international effort.

They make a lot of money. They won't change. They need to die. If you kill enough of them the risks for that money is too high. Until that happens they continue. We need elephants on this planet more than we need poachers. I would confiscate dealers resources to put into these communities to help employ people to look out for them. But, if they refuse its a bullet in the head.

I suspect the poachers don't get very rich out of it and it's the middle men and the smugglers that make the big bucks from the trade.

I suspect the poachers don't get very rich out of it and it's the middle men and the smugglers that make the big bucks from the trade.

I agree. They don't make more than them, but they earn more than they get doing anything else. Until the risk is too great it will continue until we have none left. Kill the dealers too. I'm all for that then sieze their assets to out back into the areas they poach.

If it took thousands of them to die, it will be worth it to stop it.

The big bucks are not made by the poachers themselves, but by those above them in the chain who sell on the illegal ivory. Examples abound with Chinese 'medicine' and tigers. Tourism has a big part to play - the animals being more valuable alive than dead to a country and the people living there is part of what caused the fight back in the first place, far more than handwringing about how awful it is.

The government action today is important too, because targeting the trade internationally is key.

That's your logical conclusion?
I believe that taking down the trade and fining/jailing dealers, so that they have no incentives left to trade in those commodities, might prove equally efficient; provided it's an international effort.

That runs alongside a shoot to kill policy.

Seems a bit harsh to me even though I have little sympathy for them.
If there's no demand/market for ivory or tiger penises or what have you, then there'll be no poaching.

By the way, the "shoot to kill" policy is already being applied in certain places and it doesn't seem as effective as one would expect and it's also sensitive to corruption.
In one example it lead to a 7yo local boy and a park ranger being shot by another ranger. According to Survival International, an NGO protecting tribal people’s rights, the shootings raised “serious concerns” over the effectiveness and suitability of the “shoot to kill” policy, accusing park officials of harsh mistreatment of local tribespeople, including beatings, torture, and even death.
Logic dictates that you need to eliminate the market, as money is the main motivator.

Seriously, what kind of bastard poaches elephants? Everyone knows they're much better fried.

I thank you.

Seriously, what kind of bastard poaches elephants? Everyone knows they're much better fried.

I thank you.

I don't condone it but, given the economic situation of most African countries, I can sort of understand poaching.
What I really don't understand are trophy hunters, those are some real twisted bastards who kill for no other reason than the sheer recreational value of it. I'd shoot them in an instant, no question.

I can say with all sincerity, that I would support any proposal to send in troops to kill every person involved in poaching Elephants.

I would take that further and turn a blind eye to killing people who sell it until the word gets out.

To be fair though, all big game hunters I would like to see dead.
Goes for the drug trade too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.