The biggest game you missed.

julio jordio

In line with the great threads on how many big games you were at.
Not necessarily the biggest, maybe just the game you rue missing the most and how/why?

Mine was the last Maine Road Derby. I worked on the turnstile at Maine Road for the last two seasons there (was at sixth form doing my A Levels, needed the money and couldn't afford my season ticket - best of both worlds really).
Anyway we had a box for my mates 18th birthday so I didn't go to 'work' as normal. Turned out it was complete fabrication from my mates girlfriend. It never happened and we went to the pub for it just before ko when we realised we'd been had over. Still hurts like fuck every time I see it.

Last edited:
In line with the great threads on how many big games you were at.
Not necessarily the biggest, maybe just the game you rue missing the most and how/why?

Mine was the last Maine Road Derby. I worked on the turnstile at Maine Road for the last two seasons there (was at sixth form doing my A Levels, needed the money and couldn't afford my season ticket - best of both worlds really).
Anyway we had a box for my mates 19th birthday so I didn't go to 'work' as normal. Turned out it was complete fabrication from my mates girlfriend. It never happened and we went to the pub for it just before ko when we realised we'd been had over. Still hurts like fuck every time I see it.

Bradford away promotion game.

Last edited:
I've missed a lot as I haven't lived anywhere even close to Manchester since I was about 14. (I am now at my closest about 220 miles away and get to as many home games as I can with family commitments)
Followed a lot of them on TV but the game I was most disappointed at missing even on the box was the Gillingham one. I was living in the far east at the time and flew back for my sisters wedding which was on a sunday so it coincided exactly with the wedding down in London. No access to a TV or radio last I heard was that we were losing. A very pissed up blue arrived at the wedding and told me all about it.

qpr. saw match in town though but will always regret not being at the game to my dying breath. been watching city since 1967 and missed the most important game in city's history. still pissed off about it now.

The 5-1 and Chelsea in the cup was that at villa park?

qpr. saw match in town though but will always regret not being at the game to my dying breath. been watching city since 1967 and missed the most important game in city's history. still pissed off about it now.
The first title you see won is always the most important, and I was at Newcastle in 1968 to see it. I was also at the QPR game, but don't remember being as emotional at Newcastle for some strange reason!

However, I couldn't get to Vienna in 1970 for the ECWC final, as I was on the dole at the time and was borassic. To make things worse, it was on live in every country in Europe, except England, as the Leeds v Chelsea cup final was on. 10 minutes after the final whistle, I was in the pub celebrating and getting pissed!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.