Diabetes

@Gelsons Dad and his harsh but warranted advice brought me to where I am right now I'm on the road to full fitness blood sugars under control without any medication at all. I'm walking 3.5 miles a day every day and have loads of energy. After being on 2000mg of metformin and glimepiride with 3 insulin injections a day and now medication free I owe the shouty bugger a mention.
So anyone out there who wants to give it a serious go from a mid 50's ex fat bugger you've got nothing to lose. As an aside I was on prostate medication and that's gone too now.

Bloody hell mate i hope I didn't offend you with my statement. However that's how I sold the diet and the lifestyle to myself. I was really unhappy with myself and down in the dumps. I couldn't have given a shit if I'd dropped dead there and then. I guess I was on the brink of depression. Being told I had type 2 and researching it pretty much scared me into doing something about it. I feel like I'm on a crusade now to pass on my little knowledge to fellow sufferers. Also in your case the doctors probably gave you the wrong advice on life style change. Even most these days don't recognise the true cause of this disease. Lucky for me my doc did. I've slipped off the Edge a few times but the main thing is to avoid white bread white rice pasta and spuds. It is hard at FIRST but just work around it. I've tried the cauliflower rice and it's awful so just try something else. Remember how we took the piss out of Gillian McKeith and her quinoa!
She was right and I might only have it occasionally but I enjoy it now. Especially with Cervice.takes on all the flavours.
@karen7 chocolate is my downfall but 2 big squares of 80%+ sorts me out. Just let it linger in your mouth.
I gave up drinking for 10 weeks to accellerate my diet and although I'm back on it I think I'll have to give up beer. Red wine and maybe vodka from now on.
Not in the slightest. It's my own bloody fault that, through complete inaction/ignoring it over the last few years, it has come to this. I'm now trying to get my life back on track, and doing what I should have done when I was diagnosed. I went on a Diabetes Expert course in February and March this year, and learned a great deal from it. I'd already started going to a gym a few weeks earlier, and was getting to be a bit fitter. What didn't help was then having a cardiac arrest at the end of April, followed by my big toe needing to come off, then the other.
However, that's behind me now, and when I talk to fellow diabetics, I'm like a missionary in telling them the "evils" of what I've been through in the hope they can learn from it.

Hallelujah, brother!!

Not in the slightest. It's my own bloody fault that, through complete inaction/ignoring it over the last few years, it has come to this. I'm now trying to get my life back on track, and doing what I should have done when I was diagnosed. I went on a Diabetes Expert course in February and March this year, and learned a great deal from it. I'd already started going to a gym a few weeks earlier, and was getting to be a bit fitter. What didn't help was then having a cardiac arrest at the end of April, followed by my big toe needing to come off, then the other.
However, that's behind me now, and when I talk to fellow diabetics, I'm like a missionary in telling them the "evils" of what I've been through in the hope they can learn from it.

Hallelujah, brother!!

All the best luck mate and great to hear you're doing something about it.

Ok here we go. Going to get serious and cut Carbs out. I`ve been told i`m now diabetic. Really dont want to start taking tablets I want to try with diet.

Bread is my achilles heal but my wife has done all the cooking since 1976 so basically it her fault 8-)

Every meal seems to be pasta, rice, or potato based so time to start cooking too.

Wish me luck and any advice would be welcome.

Ok here we go. Going to get serious and cut Carbs out. I`ve been told i`m now diabetic. Really dont want to start taking tablets I want to try with diet.

Bread is my achilles heal but my wife has done all the cooking since 1976 so basically it her fault 8-)

Every meal seems to be pasta, rice, or potato based so time to start cooking too.

Wish me luck and any advice would be welcome.

Get the book the 8 week blood sugar diet by Dr Michael Mosley it'll be the best 6 quid you'll ever spend. Read it, drink it in ;-).
Read the horror stories. Puts you in a positive state straight away because you are not like some of the subjects, yet!
Follow the easy to make recipes and you'll be on Masterchef in no time. In 3 months time you'll be able to start introducing things back into your daily diet. Watch what you buy when you shop. I walk past most of the aisles going, carbs, carbs, carbs. Don't buy bread that way you don't want to eat it. I'd never ate yoghurt in my life until June this year, now I have it for breakkie every day. Accept you've over indulged in the past and now your paying back your body some respect. It's not easy but it's really not that hard either.
The good thing with this thread is there are those of us who have come thru the other side. As to whether it's cured or just in remission I don't really know, but I'm in a better place mentally and physically.

On the yoghurt front buy Aldi's full fat Greek yoghurt. It's the best.

Get the book the 8 week blood sugar diet by Dr Michael Mosley it'll be the best 6 quid you'll ever spend. Read it, drink it in ;-).
Read the horror stories. Puts you in a positive state straight away because you are not like some of the subjects, yet!
Follow the easy to make recipes and you'll be on Masterchef in no time. In 3 months time you'll be able to start introducing things back into your daily diet. Watch what you buy when you shop. I walk past most of the aisles going, carbs, carbs, carbs. Don't buy bread that way you don't want to eat it. I'd never ate yoghurt in my life until June this year, now I have it for breakkie every day. Accept you've over indulged in the past and now your paying back your body some respect. It's not easy but it's really not that hard either.
The good thing with this thread is there are those of us who have come thru the other side. As to whether it's cured or just in remission I don't really know, but I'm in a better place mentally and physically.

My sincere thanks BOJ. I`ll give it my best shot, I have too.

I`ll let you all know how I go on.

Bloody hell mate i hope I didn't offend you with my statement. However that's how I sold the diet and the lifestyle to myself. I was really unhappy with myself and down in the dumps. I couldn't have given a shit if I'd dropped dead there and then. I guess I was on the brink of depression. Being told I had type 2 and researching it pretty much scared me into doing something about it. I feel like I'm on a crusade now to pass on my little knowledge to fellow sufferers. Also in your case the doctors probably gave you the wrong advice on life style change. Even most these days don't recognise the true cause of this disease. Lucky for me my doc did. I've slipped off the Edge a few times but the main thing is to avoid white bread white rice pasta and spuds. It is hard at FIRST but just work around it. I've tried the cauliflower rice and it's awful so just try something else. Remember how we took the piss out of Gillian McKeith and her quinoa!
She was right and I might only have it occasionally but I enjoy it now. Especially with Cervice.takes on all the flavours.
@karen7 chocolate is my downfall but 2 big squares of 80%+ sorts me out. Just let it linger in your mouth.
I gave up drinking for 10 weeks to accellerate my diet and although I'm back on it I think I'll have to give up beer. Red wine and maybe vodka from now on.
Hi mate,i can't have any real chocolate as one taste and i'm off again,once i'm past this 2 week detox i'll ease back into what i did before which is no real choc at all,that's the only way i can do it,i'm 4 pounds down in 4 days,eating plenty just nothing sugary except natural sugar in fresh fruit and yogurt for breakfast,i have ME so need some sugar of that sort for energy,still suffering with head shoulder pain and nausea,10 pounds of body fat to go till i get back to where i was,never again lol
What are your thoughts on sugar free gum?

Hi mate,i can't have any real chocolate as one taste and i'm off again,once i'm past this 2 week detox i'll ease back into what i did before which is no real choc at all,that's the only way i can do it,i'm 4 pounds down in 4 days,eating plenty just nothing sugary except natural sugar in fresh fruit and yogurt for breakfast,i have ME so need some sugar of that sort for energy,still suffering with head shoulder pain and nausea,10 pounds of body fat to go till i get back to where i was,never again lol
What are your thoughts on sugar free gum?

I'm not a big chewy fan but I don't like the thought of artificial sweetners anyway.
The diet I did said they're ok but while you eat them you never lose the craving for sweet things.

I'm not a big chewy fan but I don't like the thought of artificial sweetners anyway.
The diet I did said they're ok but while you eat them you never lose the craving for sweet things.
Thanks,i'm never sure if it's allowed,you maybe right about the not losing cravings if you eat it,i've not thought of it before

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.