Denis Law on his 'Lost 6 goals' against Luton

"Typical City"

The unluckiest player in fourth-round history? Denis Law once scored six goals in a fourth-round game, but still ended up on the losing side.

The fixture in question took place in 1961, during Law's first spell at Manchester City. Playing against second tier Luton Town at Kenilworth Road, Law had scored all of City's goals as the Division One side led the Hatters 6-2 before the game was abandoned in the 69th minute because of a waterlogged pitch. The scoreline was subsequently wiped and the game played from scratch a few days later.

"At the time, I was fairly relaxed about it," said Law, now 74. "I was only young. I just thought, it doesn't matter, we will beat them in the second game anyway. As it turned out, when we played again the pitch was far worse. The pitch was so muddy the ball didn't really roll at all." Law did score again, but this time City lost 3-1.

"I never scored six in a game after that," Law says [/QUOTE]

The above is the best example I can remember of what us old-timers used to call "typical city". It really was a roller-coaster ride! Occasionally it worked the other way around, as in a 2004 cup game at White Hart Lane. We came out in the second half down to 10 men (thank you Joey Barton) and losing 3-0, and then scored 4 and won! It's so good for my blood pressure that those days seem to be over at last. That Aguerooo moment was the turning point for me.

"Typical City"

The unluckiest player in fourth-round history? Denis Law once scored six goals in a fourth-round game, but still ended up on the losing side.

The fixture in question took place in 1961, during Law's first spell at Manchester City. Playing against second tier Luton Town at Kenilworth Road, Law had scored all of City's goals as the Division One side led the Hatters 6-2 before the game was abandoned in the 69th minute because of a waterlogged pitch. The scoreline was subsequently wiped and the game played from scratch a few days later.

"At the time, I was fairly relaxed about it," said Law, now 74. "I was only young. I just thought, it doesn't matter, we will beat them in the second game anyway. As it turned out, when we played again the pitch was far worse. The pitch was so muddy the ball didn't really roll at all." Law did score again, but this time City lost 3-1.

"I never scored six in a game after that," Law says

The above is the best example I can remember of what us old-timers used to call "typical city". It really was a roller-coaster ride! Occasionally it worked the other way around, as in a 2004 cup game at White Hart Lane. We came out in the second half down to 10 men (thank you Joey Barton) and losing 3-0, and then scored 4 and won! It's so good for my blood pressure that those days seem to be over at last. That Aguerooo moment was the turning point for me.[/QUOTE]
But the Agueroooo moment wouldn't have existed if it wasn't for typical City

The rain had stopped when the ref called it off.I was in the open end,soaked then the ref made me pi..ed off.

my fav bit of that article are the words LAW now 74......Cant think why , but they just have a certain nice ring to them....lol.

i remember as a kid having the old football player cards with interesting facts on the back of them , the law 6 goals in a cup tie but ended up a loser is one of them, as was peter lorimer,s nickname hotshot and arbroath beating bon accord i think 36-0 as the record british football score.....happy days

And there was the FA record, from memory it was Preston v Hyde. Think it was 28- 0 and the Hyde goalie was their MOM !

Further to above post,we went on a North Western bus from Greenhalgh,s newsagent shop on Portway,It was our usual mode of transport back in the “Olden Days”.For some reason late 60s trip to Newcastle was full.Don,t remember much about the return journey,perhaps some other “Oldy”might know the reason,for state of oblivion.

I must be one of the few, very few posters who attended the game. City were 2 down when he scored his first after around 15 min, his 6th came 5 min before the twat called the game off, Law scored 6 goals in 50 min that day.
Agenda? what are you on about.
Have to say Mario gave me the same feeling a few times as Law did in his first spell at City.
But I'll never forget the LAST goal he ever scored for City!

Anyone else who with amy memories of either game.Thats two posters now who were at the intial abandoned match..

Not those two games, but coincidentally we've just been discussing the forgotten rail crash from 1958, (a few weeks after Munich) when the City Supporters Train collided with a stationary passenger train at Chinley.
The train was returning to Manchester after a victory at Luton, and according to the British Rail Crash Report, was carrying 90 supporters.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.