Your worst City player

Nowhere near is right. I'm not sentimental at all, he was never one of my favourites. We've had some very base level players ability wise over the years that Dickov was way above before we even consider his commitment. I won't need to ask my more ignorant mates of his ability as I'm capable of making an objective view myself. Dickovs physical attributes counted against him. Clearly lacking in height and presence he could neither rely on blistering pace and was never going to be prolific (although as a youth player apparently he had some and ask any arsenal fan about his record and prospects as one of their youth players). Smaller strikers rely on pace - look at Owen and Fowler when they lost theirs. The obvious example of Dickovs abilities is to use the Wembley finish, less accomplished players mess those huge moments up. They fluff their lines when the pressure is on. His finish is a big indicator of a certain amount of ability at the very least. To use a more mundane example, I remember an opening goal at The Dell (in a 2-0 premier league win). He had to smartly bend his run to spring the offside trap (his pace alone couldn't do this) and then take his shot on early from outside the box to catch the goalie unawares and before the defence goat back at him. He executed this perfectly finding the corner. Only player of good level of ability could score such a goal in the top flight. Also a lot of the Goats space came from his tireless work that kept defenders busy.

Whilst clearly limited, im gobsmacked that he's mentioned here. Is it an embarrassed denial of our dark days when lesser players were championed? What a luxury we have now. Yes we had some planks in the day and before that, to put Dickov amongst them is short sighted.

You've given a lengthy post putting an argument forward for Dickov making the most of himself and being an intelligent footballer and a good finisher. All I have to say in response is that he averaged 5 goals a season in the 2nd and 3rd division.

He wasn't a good finisher and he wasn't and intelligent player. You've come up with 2 good finishes. If you'd watched him every week like I did, you'd know good finishes were very much the exception to the rule.

There are plenty of players who were small, had no pace and made the most of themselves. Look at Tevez as a prime example. He grafted his balls off, was small, wasn't blessed with pace. He's one of the best players I've ever seen for City, because he was so intelligent and such a good finisher.

If you still think Dickov was intelligent and a good finisher, ask yourself what the differences between Tevez and Dickov. What made one world class and the other a sub standard lower league player.

I'm proud to say I went to every home game and the majority of away games during our fall down the divisions. I'm not ashamed of that period whatsoever, I'm very proud of it.

Some of my favourite players played in that era; Bernarbia, Berkovic, Bishop, Horlock, Goater, Wanchope etc. They all made the most of themselves too, they didn't charge down lost causes like Dickov did, but when they actually got the ball, they had a bit of intelligence and quality to do something with the it.

You've given a lengthy post putting an argument forward for Dickov making the most of himself and being an intelligent footballer and a good finisher. All I have to say in response is that he averaged 5 goals a season in the 2nd and 3rd division.

He wasn't a good finisher and he wasn't and intelligent player. You've come up with 2 good finishes. If you'd watched him every week like I did, you'd know good finishes were very much the exception to the rule.

There are plenty of players who were small, had no pace and made the most of themselves. Look at Tevez as a prime example. He grafted his balls off, was small, wasn't blessed with pace. He's one of the best players I've ever seen for City, because he was so intelligent and such a good finisher.

If you still think Dickov was intelligent and a good finisher, ask yourself what the differences between Tevez and Dickov. What made one world class and the other a sub standard lower league player.

No one is saying Dickov is a rival of Tevez in terms of ability. What most are saying is he clearly isn't close to being out worst player ever.

And for the record he scored 12 in 25 starts in League 1, 19 in 68 in Championship and 4 in 15 in Prem.

One time we were on holiday in Portugal. Got playing footy with some lads. Me and a mate 1 on each..After a while it became obvious one lad was fast and kept scoring . I mentioned to one of the lads that this fellas was good. He laughed and said he should be, he's a pro. It was Dickov. Fast, powerful, unnerving in front of goal.
Well at least on a Sandy pitch in albufuera.

He probably counts them in his career goals

Recently...

Worst in talent: Jo, Sinclair, surprisingly Bony.
Worst due to attitude/effect on team: Balotelli. Runner up, Nasri. Would put Tevez in here too, except that he was by far our best player until he got completely fed up with Mancini - Tevez is a nut case though, and eventually falls out with whoever manages him.
Worst due to form: Bravo (hope he returns to form)

Last edited:

I'm proud to say I went to every home game and the majority of away games during our fall down the divisions. I'm not ashamed of that period whatsoever, I'm very proud of it.

Some of my favourite players played in that era; Bernarbia, Berkovic, Bishop, Horlock, Goater, Wanchope etc. They all made the most of themselves too, they didn't charge down lost causes like Dickov did, but when they actually got the ball, they had a bit of intelligence and quality to do something with the it.

Not great length really, 2 crude examples admittedly. Not sure why you feel the need to justify yourself as a fan to me. I'm sure you were there.

No he isn't Tevez, yes (again) he was limited, not sure where the good finisher and intelligence thing is going, but he should not be in a discussion about worst ever player. That's the discussion. There are plenty of others before him. I haven't even brought commitment into it yet, but frankly it should be a criteria in this. I give you Steve Mcminimum, Danny Mills, Gary Megson, Nigel Clough, Hopkins etc etc. On ability for crying out loud do we not remember Jason Van Blerk, Jed Brennan, Badbuy, Peacock, Creaney, McGoldrick, Cunningham, Gareth Taylor, Christie, Kinsey? If I had more time or inclination there's plenty more. I'm not claiming Dickovs amazing ability but that he really shouldn't be in this discussion
I can only guess that it's a reaction to him being praised disproportionately above his ability, I get that, but worst player? Not even close.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.