Napoli post-match thread

Make no mistake this napoli side this season is like a more balanced version of monaco last season. The fact that they were restricted to one clear chance outside of the penalties shows how well drilled pep has the team is this season. Second half was a mixture of them closing down the passing lanes and pressing at a higher tensity aligned with some sloppy passes from the back which coincided with them gaining some momentum but the defensive partnership and ederson were immense all game especially stones who wasn't helped by some sloppy positioning and play by walker at times. There's just a different mentality in the team this season that wasn't there the last season where both this and the stoke game would've ended in draws.

First 30 minutes we blew them away, they couldn't cope with our intensity and we had them camped in their own third. We were unlucky not to bee 4-0 up. After that we dropped off which is to be expected as you can't perform like that for 90 minutes.

We were the weaker side second half but the defence stood tall and it's great to see they can handle a prolonged period of pressure when we're on the back foot and the attackers aren't performing. John Stones was phenomenal, he's really cementing himself as the leader of that back 4 and if he wasn't English he'd be getting far more praise than he currently is.

Offensively we looked off the pace second half, one too many passes or the wrong option at the wrong time but that's going to happen from time to time.

To come away with a victory against one of the most potent and best sides in Europe right now despite not being at our best for a good chunk of the game is for me more of a statement than if we had kept up the level of the first 30 minutes and spanked them 5-0

Tonight was a tough test but it’s one that we passed with flying colours. Of course Napoli we’re going to create, they’ve been one of the best teams in Europe for the last couple of months and have quality throughout their first 11.
That said it was our own mistakes that tended to give them a glimmer of hope and had we scored 6 tonight nobody could have begrudged us. In recent weeks it’s been the front six getting the plaudits and rightly so but tonight it was the back four and goalkeepers time to shine and shine they did. That for me is the biggist positive moving forward.
We’re on the way to bring some fucking team.

I thought our biggest problem in the 2nd half was the passing out from the back lost all purpose. It was almost like we were doing it for the sake of doing it. There's this belief in some of the media that we fuck about with it at the back, we don't, we just start our attacks from deep. In the 2nd half, I felt we did lean towards fucking about a bit at the back and Napoli are a dangerous team to do that against. Having said that we played against a very good attacking team and they created very little, we gifted them 2 pens and their only other real chance was of our own doing.

We could have wrapped the game up within 30 mins having played some sensational football and after that I thought we managed the game well.

Players shouldn't be tired next Saturday FFS.
It's Tuesday and we were at home.
Plenty of time for R&R and some light training prior to weekend.
Little bit of rotation yeah, and we should be fine.
Christ it's not as though we were away to CSKA in the middle of winter , with a long journey back and a game on Saturday.
Relax people.

Some great, some good and some poor tonight. First 30 minutes was exquisite again. Actually looked like we were playing a lower league team such was the gulf. Then they changed their press slightly and off the back of that managed to force a few mistakes and took us out of our flow. On top of that, when we did beat the press we delayed making the right pass (Sane for Jesus for example in the first half when he was clean through) or simply misplaced the pass. Such small details that make the world of difference, especially in games against the best form team in Europe.

Second half turned into a different kind of game. Think we were fairly content at 2-0 to play on the counter slightly, and again had two moments between 45-50 to get in on goal but misplaced the pass (Sterling cross for Jesus and Sane down the left).

Even though we were heavily pressured, I'm glad we continued to play out as it will serve us well. It did almost cost us at one point when Dinho had a bad touch , and from then on, he was very poor (excellent first half).

Walker and Delph had a few bad moments throughout - Walker was shocking for their penalty and Delph misplaced a few passes which lead to counters. Walker is starting to worry me a little actually with his concentration. Silva started to look a little bit careless at times but had good moments. Sane was in a world of his own. Absolutely appalling although he picked up at the 75 mark and finished the game well. He won't play that badly again I don't think.

All in all though, I thought we were good. We have been spoilt by our league form really and we are in a weird place where we feel like we have to justify why we only won 2-1 against one of Europe's best teams.

Stones and Otamendi were excellent and are starting to strike up an understanding. Ederson is outstanding. Absolutely outstanding. His passing is insane.

My biggest takeaway from the game is how remarkable it is that Pep has taught a defensive unit which includes 3 English players how to play around a very heavy press with a composure which I didn't think they possessed. The angles they create is outstanding and will surely continue to improve.

We have now played 4 very good sides, have beaten all 4 and still haven't conceded from open play against any of them. What he's achieved with this side is remarkable given that only 4 of tonight's starters were actually he's signings is crazy.

LIKE!

Napoli defence was a replica of ours last season. should really of took changes in first half as we struggled to maintain the quality and dominance of the first 35 minutes. As much as Raheem has improved his tendency to disappear still frustrates Finally how good was Eddie today?

Didnt see that but he also got the Stones one spot on when most probably wouldn't have.

he is a **** who we all remember for shafting us last year against Monaco but he didnt get anywhere near that tonight thank god.

I'm amazed he didn't give the Stones one, but from his angle it was clearly not a handball.

He's inept.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.