Ederson Moraes - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did he say?

I only heard his comments on the football weekly podcast but i think he said a couple of bits elsewhere too a couple of weeks into the season. The thing i listened to he was saying that he didn't think he was up to the job and thought he didn't look like a proper athlete. Even if he did have doubts about him, he seemed to be going needlessly off the deep end about him so early in the season. Would genuinely be interested to hear what he thinks now.

His distribution is, to my mind, the key. He's a fantastic keeper in himself, which is brilliant, but his distribution allows us the play the way we do.

When he has the ball, say at a goal kick, basically we have three options: play it short, chip it into midfield or hit it long into the final third. His ability with the ball means there is a very good chance he will hit his target whichever of these three options he takes. His short range passing is so good that - as we saw last night and on Saturday - he can receive the ball again after a short goal kick and keep a passing move going in a way that even facing a high press in numbers, he can combine with the back four to pass through them and get onto the front foot. His mid-range passing is very good, too. It is rare that if he hits a ball out to one of the full backs playing out wide in the middle third that it will not find its target. And his long range passing is unbelievable - he can find one of our strikers at the edge of the opposition with a goal kick (no offsides from goal kicks).

Crucially, this means that however the opposition try to defend against us, we have options to by-pass them. The back four cannot play a high press because we can go over their heads if they do to a forward who is (a) a deadly finisher, and (b) is one-on one with the goalkeeper with no defenders within 20 yards. But if they drop deep, and their forwards are attempting a high press, it means the middle third is basically empty. Also, if the opposition forwards do try to press we can go over them either to midfield (if the back four are sitting deep to avoid a long goal kick) or over their heads if not, or we can play through them, and once through them we are on the front foot. Then again, if the opposition forwards drop deep to make their defence very compact, we can pass from the back, and move them around until we find a way through. So Ederson's range of distribution makes it incredibly difficult for the opposition to defend because they can't be in two places at once. Whatever
defensive system they choose to set up, we have options to go over, through or round it.

He is the one player who, to my mind, is absolutely pivotal to the way we play. He's only been here two months, but I fear a long term injury to Ederson more than I do to any other player.
Good post. His calmness flows through the rest of the defence. He also exudes a brooding presence, and that combined with his truly gifted passing range means simply he is indispensable to our setup.

I only heard his comments on the football weekly podcast but i think he said a couple of bits elsewhere too a couple of weeks into the season. The thing i listened to he was saying that he didn't think he was up to the job and thought he didn't look like a proper athlete. Even if he did have doubts about him, he seemed to be going needlessly off the deep end about him so early in the season. Would genuinely be interested to hear what he thinks now.

The laughable bit was when his distribution was questioned by Schwarzer. It's prossibly the best there is.

The laughable bit was when his distribution was questioned by Schwarzer. It's prossibly the best there is.

I was trying to remember if he'd mentioned the distribution but I wasn't 100% sure. But yeah, if he did make a point of that he really has made a fool of himself.

Much as I like the guy, he did get bailed out by Stones here.
I hope we don't get to see too much of these situations.

How is that Edersons's fault? He's done his job there. If we slackly give the ball away with a poor touch on the edge of our own box problems will occur.
Ederson in that clip stop player A from scoring, yes he squares it, but there little anyone but Stones can do about that and he does excellently.

How is that Edersons's fault? He's done his job there. If we slackly give the ball away with a poor touch on the edge of our own box problems will occur.
Ederson in that clip stop player A from scoring, yes he squares it, but there little anyone but Stones can do about that and he does excellently.
It's not Ederson's fault, the defenders overplayed and Dinho got caught due to a poor touch.
Just meant to say that you better get the ball when you go off your line like that or pray that someone has the presence of mind to bail you out, which Stones luckily had.

Its as if he was created in a lab. Seems like he cant speak and just nods when hes told to do something, then does so impeccably.

Looks hard as fuck as well.

Enjoyed this mate, good point never seen him speak just point and grunt
The guys an absolute freak of nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.