Is football just about winning?

I don't think i've ever been bored watching my own team, angry, frustrated, anxious etc yes. Even that Pearce team.

I think style does matter though, for the overall vibe around your club, and can influence your success as a club overall. Clubs that have a reputation for playing good football will get more non-fans watching their games, more international supporters, maybe better sponsorship opportunities, attract players, smaller clubs can sell players for higher fees etc.

But it has to be combined with relative success for any of that to really matter.

I watch a fair bit of football as a neutral, but i know which teams around Europe play decent football and will choose to watch those matches. For example tonight the highest profile CL match is Chelsea vs Roma, but i have no desire to watch it.

Think in reality its a double edged sword:- As a manager you are judged on results otherwise the likes of Pullis and Allerdyce wouldn't of lasted so long in the game
As a fan you want to be entertained winnning games handsomely, just ask the West Ham fans and their fabled West Ham way

When we went so many years without winning anything I did not care how we did it I just wanted to win something. When we won the FA Cup then the Prem that was great. I felt sorry for Arsenal fans great football to watch but nothing to show for it. The last two seasons we have played some great football but not won anything of any significance I thought we were turning into Arsenal. Hopefully this season we can show that we can do both great football and winning trophies.

Winning is what it is all about. If we were playing fantastic football and losing and drawing every game this place would be in meltdown. " It might look great and be exciting for a neutral, but it's no good if we can't win!!" You know the one. Obviously if we can do both happy days.

Again i simply consider the modern financial stakes at play. Afaik 50 years ago footballers at the top level were hardly making so much money that they could live their whole life on it, no'r were they so heavy on the club financials and for the same matter winning or loosing might have much fewer financial consequences.

Nowadays at the top level there is a big financial difference with even ending just a few spots higher than usual, especially for teams who's financial structure aint the most healthy., they might pretty much go bankrupt if they loose too much position if not forced to sell their best players for at a cheaper price.

For the last few years yours has been my telly team. I always liked City 'cause I hate the scum, and now I like them more because they're the best to watch. I have the luxury of being entertained by great football without the misery of a bare trophy cabinet. That said, I'd love to see you sweep up if it meant top flight English footie took a bit more of a Barcelona turn, and bit less Chelsea/Leicester/scum (or all the rest of the robots playing their 'defend & counter' shite)

*Honourable mentions to the arse, dippers & spuds. I liked Liverpool more so under Rafa btw; they were a great passing side at times, but anyway...

Good football first, winning rather than losing next, trophies last in rank of importance.

As a neutral anyone would want to see their team draw 3-3 at home to Roma tonight but as a fan anyone would want to see their team get a boring 1-0 win away to Benfica if we're being honest, especially if the result mattered.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.