Crimewatch

The dilemma the BBC has is that if they don't make populist shows that attract ratings, then they won't attract the 'talent' who want the ratings and exposure, nor will they get to work with the writers, production companies etc who seek ratings for obvious reasons (they have to write CVs too, remember).

Sometimes recruiting presenters, producers etc. to make one populist entertainment show will mean that the BBC has those people on board and signed-up to make other TV shows (this can save time and money as a lot of staff will be shared between different programmes/projects - e.g. I know someone who as worked on Match of the Day...and Miranda). If they don't get the best talent, producers, etc. working for them, then people will complain that the BBC never produces anything decent!

In short, the BBC has to make the populist, lowest-common denominator stuff in order to fund and staff the production of the quality stuff in the most efficient and cost effective way. It is also obliged to make those crappy programmes that appeal to a particular demographic under it's public service remit (alas, a lot of people like programmes such as The Voice, even if we don't). Unfortunately that means quality programmes get altered or dropped altogether, but I think the balance is still worth the license fee. For every 'Stacey Dooley Investigates', we get a Louise Theroux documentary.
I can see you raise good points.

To be fair, I did say "I am not suggesting "public service" means news, documentaries, arts 24x7. There is room for entertainment too."

But they need to keep an eye on the balance. "Competing" with commercial television is a dangerous game and doing things like scheduling Strictly specifically to clash with X-factor and presumably with the aim of specifically damaging ITV's ratings, was an absolute disgrace. The BBC are in a very privileged position compared to other organisations which have to earn every crust they get.

The government have probably told them to axe it on account that it costs too much to keep shitbags in prison so a programme that aims to catch shitbags isn't in line with their economic plans. It was a good programme albeit dragged out for too long talking to victims in the studio imo.

It's been on a downward slide since Nick Ross left. Years ago they had proper coppers on the show, dealing with armed blaggs and proper crime. Unfortunately it then went for pretty boys like Rav Wilding, who couldnt wait to leave the police once he got a bit of fame and started dealing with looney left crime related issues that were more politically correct.

The programme was given a dark and sinister makeover to make it more glamorous and the reconstructions went all Tarrantino. Then it was fronted by Tim Vine, who in all fairness is hardly Gene Hunt and was live from a caravan, with a couple of cop cars parked outside on an Aldi car park.

I hope some other channel relaunches it, but going back to old school.

Just a shame, it wasn't him. They'd have been some cracking one-liners.

The government have probably told them to axe it on account that it costs too much to keep shitbags in prison so a programme that aims to catch shitbags isn't in line with their economic plans. It was a good programme albeit dragged out for too long talking to victims in the studio imo.
Nice conspiracy theory, but like them all rooted in absolute bollocks.
They do a Crimewatch roadshow series that is shown in the late mornings and they have found that it gets the right audience and yields good results in terms of responses to appeals for information. I know this for a fact, I was only speaking to someone who works on it the other day

There will be a reason it’s been ‘axed’ and that’s down to ratings - they wouldn’t axe a show if it was doing well in the ratings.

It will still be on during the daytime in its Crimewatch roadshow format which says it all for me, it is now daytime tv.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.